Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Divine ERG Solenoid Ressurection?

As everyone who owns a Loyale knows by now, the CEL code 34 is EGR Solenoid and it is an emissions part the dealer wants about $120 for. My first CEL 34 code happened to me at about 80K miles and I let it go for about 4 months until I could not stand it anymore. Damned if I was going to pay $120 for a coil of wire and a bar of metal!

Eventually I found a third party replacement at Rock auto for $60 at the time (2005 I think it was). This made the code 34 go away and the CEL went black. I thought I'd never see it again.

About one year ago, my light came back on code 34. I chose to ignore it. It doesn't affect the car running and even at $60 it is still a coil of wire around a metal bar like a doorbell ringer mechnism. Probably only costs about 50 cents to make and the rest is pure ripoff. Yeah, I am a cheap bastard -  deal with it. :lol:

Anyway, recently the light has gone out for a while, then came back on, then out for a different length and then on. I thought at first the ECU was resetting its codes because it was stored for so long. But sometimes it stays off for days and comes back then other times just for ten minutes or so.

The thing has been out for a year and now it starts to work again?  Any ideas or theories on this?

Edited to add: EGR not ERG, though ERG is the growling sound one makes when the code 34 happens.

Edited by MR_Loyale
  • Like 1