Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just recieved this via MSN..

Recall Alert: SUBARU IMPREZA, SUBARU LEGACY, SUBARU OUTBACK

Owner Notification Date: Mar 30, 2004

Number of Units Potentially Affected: 127580

Component Description: VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL:CABLES

NHTSA Campaign Number: 04V128000

Description of Recall Campaign: ON CERTAIN PASSENGER AND SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, THE CRUISE CONTROL CABLE COULD COME OUT OF ITS TRACK ON THE CRUISE CONTROL LEVER AND LODGE ON THE CONTROL LEVER TAB WHEN THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL IS RELEASED. IF THIS CONDITION OCCURS, THE THROTTLE WILL NOT RETURN TO THE IDLE POSITION BUT REMAIN IN AN OPEN POSITION.

IF THIS OCCURS DURING VEHICLE OPERATION, THE DRIVER COULD LOSE CONTROL OF THE VEHICLE, WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH. DEALERS WILL INSTALL A CRUISE CONTROL CABLE RETAINING CLIP TO THE CRUISE CONTROL LEVER TAB ON THE THROTTLE SHAFT IN ORDER TO PREVENT THE CRUISE CONTROL CABLE FROM COMING OUT OF ITS TRACK. OWNER NOTIFICATION IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING APRIL 2004. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT SUBARU AT 18007822783.

According to the recall notice I received in the mail earlier this week from Subaru of America, it affects “certain 2001 thru 2004 model year Subaru Lagacy Outback 3.0L H6 and 2002 thru 2004 Impreza WRX 2.0L vehicles.” And, “to correct this condition, Subaru will install a cruise control cable retaining clip at no cost to you.” Sounds like a simple fix that shouldn't take more than 10-15 minutes at your dealer's service department.

Cheers ...

I find this happens on all models of Subarus that I drive. I have the manual cruise control models, i.e.: my foot. It only seems to happen when the manual digit falls asleep. Corrective measures include getting out and walking around, twirling my foot in circles both clockwise and counterclockwise..... :grin: