Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New to us Forester in need of transplant - looking for info/help

Ivan - from what I have seen the so called "mechanic" that had his hands on this car - he is sloppy, careless, and obviously didnt give a darn about other peoples property. One more reason why I prefer to do things myself if I can. I admit, there are a few things that are beyond my capabilities, but not all that many things. ^_^

Slopy work keeps me bussy redo many head jobs very soon after they were done and many bottom ends taken out from poor workmanship. A 2.2 is tougher but I a'm starting to like the 2.5 d agian is easy to find parts are cheap and can put it into a 2.51 hole or 2.53 hole and seems to be just as reliabble as long as its been reberinged and reringed. As of late the 2.51 - 2.53s have been droping like flys but the 2.5ds seem to keep going and at least give some warning when they fail

• Like 2

Ok, I forgot about the donor being a '90,

I have an EJ22 harness from a '96.

98 w/ Dohc 2.5 no

99+ w/ sohc 2.5 yes.

Ok, I am confused now - getting the above mentioned 2.2 harness from matt167 - should be on its way already.

the original 2.5 is history - it is going away, along with upper the harness - too much fire damage to bother with it...

1990 2.2 going in, using above 96 upper harness - I will still need to swap the injector connectors from the 90 harness to the 96 harness?

Edited by heartless

the original was the dohc version - so I should be ok - if I am reading you correctly. Thanks for clearing that up for me. :)

I dont have a problem with swapping things if I need to, but why make more work unnecessarily. Guess I will find out for sure when the harness gets here.

Off to get some burned wiring repaired now...pulled the main engine compartment harness - from passenger side front to under dash - out of the donor car (the one that runs thru the left fender) to make sure I had enough wire for repairs. Funny how there is like 6 or 7 times the wiring in the front of the Forester than there was in the 1st gen Legacy. :huh:

Thanks for the update matt! :)

gonna try to get the 2.2 yanked out this weekend - between rain showers, lol.

also waiting on a timing kit to arrive, but I can get started on cleaning things up and resealing a few things without that.

> I only thought of using the motor out of my Legacy because it is

> known good runner, and just had a full reseal/timing job last summer

> (only about 18-20K on that), but after a little more thought,

> it just seems to make more sense (time wise) to use the parts car motor

And now you're back to using the '90?
Sounds like you're on your way to success in either

case, but I'm just curious as to why you aren't more

wanting to keep the '90 running, as it is, and use the

parts-car motor which after all is . . . for parts!?

What issues leave you not caring so much for losing

the use of the '90?  (asks me, who is facing '91 issues

and in a pay-to-fix vs. discard decision <groan>)

Anon.II

Anon - both the DD and the parts car are 1990 models. I dont want to lose the use of the DD for several reasons - not the least of which is that i am also job hunting & in a rural area that means a minimum if 15-20 miles of driving to get some where - usually more like 30-40 miles one way. With gas prices as they are, why take down a perfectly good gas miser - even temporarily - and be forced into driving a gas hog of a pickup truck?

The parts car did run when we got it but had tranny problems. I am pretty confident that we can get it running again