Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone have experience driving the Coos Bay North Jetty road in Oregon ?

Oregon

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 sario

sario

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • PNW

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:05 PM

Anyone have experience driving the Coos Bay North Jetty road in Oregon ?  It's level, but the sand can be pretty soft and a lot of the trucks that drive it leave deep ruts.  I haven't been brave enough to take my outback across it, but I'd really like too.

43.356733, -124.337021

Edited by sario, 30 June 2013 - 10:39 PM.

#2 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,158 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:24 PM

Just air down and you'll be fine.

Don't spin too much, creeping starts so you don't bury yourself, and keep moving on the really soft stuff.

#3 Uberoo

Uberoo

Subaru Wheeler

• Members
  • 3,405 posts
  • lewiston,ID

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:51 PM

Dont park facing uphill either.

#4 sario

sario

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • PNW

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:41 PM

I think i might wait until rains before i try this.

#5 Uberoo

Uberoo

Subaru Wheeler

• Members
  • 3,405 posts
  • lewiston,ID

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:17 AM

That can be a bad thing and a good thing.Wet sand will certainly be firmer,however it will also be stickier and will stick everywhere.When it dries it will have to knocked off by a rubber mallot or LOTS of high pressure water.Or to put it another way, when its wet it has the consistency of wet cement,when dry it more or less is cement.I learned this when I when wheeling at place that the soil was very sandy and silty...

#6 ferp420

ferp420

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 273 posts
  • el granada ca usa

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:37 AM

all you need for sand is a realy good jack get stuck jack up the car put sand back under the tires lower jack drive away  no biggie if your prepared for it

#7 sario

sario

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • PNW

Posted 07 July 2013 - 03:05 PM

all you need for sand is a realy good jack get stuck jack up the car put sand back under the tires lower jack drive away  no biggie if your prepared for it

What would you recomend for a jack?  

#8 ferp420

ferp420

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 273 posts
  • el granada ca usa

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:42 AM

the stock scissor  jacks dont do to well in the sand ive had them fail and leave me stranded but can do the job bottle jacks are more reliable but harder to use the bumper jacks always worked best for me now days im using a high lift desert jack  the best however is 2 big guys you can call them jack if you want they can even push if they have to lol

#9 mudduck

mudduck

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 703 posts
  • Asheboro NC

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:13 PM

Make sure you carry a couple of pieces of plywood too, so the jack don't sink!!

#10 wanhanlu

wanhanlu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Granada hill, ca

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:57 AM

anybody install a winch on their subaru? I am trying to mount a winch on my outback on the trailer hitch. I found a 3k# winch and a trailer mount for it. Am stumped with the wiring and the battery power. It seems the outback battery is too small for the winch load. Help? Not doing any jeep style offroading just need to ride on dirt roads a bit to a campground and people get stuck on the ruts. Not much traffic on that road and worry about getting stuck for days without help.

#11 sario

sario

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • PNW

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:34 PM

anybody install a winch on their subaru? I am trying to mount a winch on my outback on the trailer hitch. I found a 3k# winch and a trailer mount for it. Am stumped with the wiring and the battery power. It seems the outback battery is too small for the winch load. Help? Not doing any jeep style offroading just need to ride on dirt roads a bit to a campground and people get stuck on the ruts. Not much traffic on that road and worry about getting stuck for days without help.

You should be able to get a battery big enough for moderate size
winch. Whats the CCA on your battery and how old is it?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Oregon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users