Ultimate Subaru Message Board

oil leak.....

I'm a newb in the world of Subaru, I recently bought a '85 Subaru turbo wagon. It has 65,000 original miles, and it is very nice inside and out. The previous owner had bought it from an estate and said he had rebuilt the head on cylinders 1 and 3 as they had little/no compression,and he replaced the timing  belt as well as well as other "stuff" . So this little car runs like a top,handles well, and seems to be a great daily driver, BUT! ( and there is always a but, isn't there?!?) . I noticed about a week ago the distinct smell of burning oil, I looked underneath and I could see fresh oil on the cross member, and when I popped the hood the smell of the burning oil was from fresh oil that had spilled onto the exhaust manifold. 

I took the car to a trusted mechanic, and the first thing he said was " a mechanic could make quite a living fixing oil leaks on Subarus" . He looked it over and said other than the recent oil the engine looked clean and  tight, and thought the oil may have been residue from the previous mechanics handy work.

All that said, I suspect the oil is not from older work, but is an actual oil leak and I have no experience as to how to track it down. So, can I get some advice as to where to look ( or how to look) for oil leaks?  As a post script, I did wipe down the crossmember last night, it did have fresh oil on it, and the cardboard i laid out under the engine did have fresh  oil stains on it in  the  morning. Thanks for any and all advice folks! 

That sounds like the standard leak of the gasket maker between the camtower and the cylinder head bolts, around the camtower cover gasket, and through the camtower bolt seals.  It requires removing the camtower and resetting it with new gasket maker, new subaru O-rings, and gasket maker on the two internal contact faces at oil channels.  Also installing a new rubber cover gasket and using some hi-temp gasket maker to help seal it and the new bolt seals that you will be installing.

Clean up the engine surfaces as best you can, run it, and look for oil trails.  On Subes, all oil and coolant leaks eventually end up on the exhaust pipes.

Due to the number of vertical gasket surfaces, these engines have a lot of potential leak sites.  The cam-cover/cam-case(tower) sealing surfaces are the usual suspects for an oil leak.  It is a minor pain to re-seal these (tight clearance to get at cam-cover bolts), so it would be worth your time to at least see which side is leaking.

Tractor Pole: Can you post a link or some directions where to find this partial copy of the factory service manual on line?

Thanks, also have oil leak to fix. John aka Kenneth

there is a link on the bottom, I have not tested it.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/105484-factory-service-manualea82/?hl=%2Bea82+%2Bservice+%2Bmanual

Tricky tricky. Here's the thing - No matter what type or brand of car it is... If it has a boxer it will inevitably... Leak. Boxsters. Veedubs. Beetles. Scoobs. Goldwings. Regardless. What's tricky about the boxer, is that when oil leaks... It goes everywhere. It spreads. It is often very difficult to identify an oil leak on a horizontal engine. That is unless it's... Gushing. Drippin' hard. Like a few said above my response, wash the under chasis the best you can. Hose, car wash, degreaser... Whatever. Get it clean. Drive it for a few. Then locate. I've had to do that exact method twice. Once, twas a valve cover gasket. The second time, head gasket.