Got this TSB for Subaru ABS systems. I wasn't able to find it anywhere so here it is...or some of it.
Overview: It's basically just replacement procedures and part numbers for the controller - making it a separate unit where as before it was considered part of the ABS hydraulic unit assembly I suppose.
FUNNY: Subaru actually says "with a small piece of wood" instead of some obscure subaru specific mount. Wow, since when does Subaru commend using a piece of 2x4 lying in the garage!
1997-04 MY Legacy, Outback, Baja (excluding VDC)
1998-04 Impreza and Forester
Replacement of ECU for ABS Repair
In order to improve serviceability of ABS system, the ECU was subdivided and has been newly established as a spare part. This service bulletin details the part numbers and replacement procedures of the ECU as a spare part.
1 Turn off ignition switch
2 Disconnect negative terminal from battery
3 Disconnect air intake duct from Air Box
4 Remove the air cleaner case from the inner fender
NOTE: When removing the ECU, the brake pipes remain connected
1. disconnect all electrical connections from the ECU (top and bottom)
2. Remove the two installation bolts (M8) from the bracket of the hydraulic unit and the ECU assembly
3. Lift he hydraulic uni and the ECU assembly from the bracket by about 5cm (0.2 inches) and support it with a small piece of wood.
CAUTION: Be careful not to deform the brake pipe during this procedure.
4. Unlock the connector for the motor power source and disconnect the connector as shown in figure 2.
5. Remove the 6 torx head screws (T20) which join the hydraulic unit and the ECU
NOTE: Do not reuse the torx head screws once removed
6 Remove the ECU from the hydraulic unit by pulling it gently.
It shows some intricate reinstallation with a specific tightening sequence but i can't imagine anyone caring about that....i sure don't and am not about to type it all up.