Ultimate Subaru Message Board

windshield replacement

I'm looking at getting a hatchback shell to begin rebuilding my offroader. This shell in particular doesn't have a windshield. I am just curious how to remove a good windshield from the junkyard so it can be installed.I would prefer not to have a shop install a brand new shiny windshild in a soon to be offroader,because with my luck the first wheeling trip a tree branch would slap against the window and crack/bust it out...

I have tried to pull the window from various cars over the years and just about every one has resulted in a broken window when its about 80% out...So what are some tips and tricks for pulling the windshield out of an ea81 without breaking it.

the best way is to cut the seal off with a razor knife or sharpened scraper of some sort and not be in a hurry. if sealant was used in the install you may have to cut the window out of the seal this may take some time.

i have insalled seals but never tried to salvage one.

maybe someone here has taken out one without deamaging the seal.

I may be wrong on this, but Only the hatches, Brat and coupe used the same windshield and it is held in with a rubber gasket. Pull the inner chrome molding out of the gasket you can try to save the gasket if it's still soft by slowly working it out from the inside to the outside. New ones are still available on Evil Bay. Talk to a glass shop about installing it. There is a special tacky 'sealant' they use to put inside the inner trough of the gasket and you'll want that or it will leak.

Damn, I though all EA81 windshields were the same,So I guess before I go to the junkyard I will have to first make sure the body style is F U or W.That does limit the choices.So with that being said what is the best way to get the glass out in one piece?

as far as i know all EA81's have the same windshields,

in my experience removing and installing them.....for what its worth

you salvage the glass OR the seal - not both

if you want the seal remove the glass with a hammer or your boot...

you could probably use the one in your old hatch

to save the glass, sharp knife and cut off anything that isn't glass

its an PITA to reintsall - buy a tube of 3m window weld and be very careful

you should be able to get it to seal up good enough for off roading

I also think all ea81 bodies have the same windshield. Door glass is what is different. Just so you know, I have been able to find new windshields and gaskets from auto glass companies here in CO, so they are still available. If you are just looking to go cheap, the razor knife at the JY is the ticket, and please do be careful. I see uncracked glass in the jy from time to time, but don't really see good gaskets. The gaskets I have found new all have the groove for the chrome trim which is hard to find in good shape used, although it might still be available (albeit over-priced) from the dealership. To truely fit tight, you should use that trim, but I have used the grooved gasket without the trim and it doesn't leak or anything, but we did use glue of some sort, which you are not supposed to do.

I feel like you're better off just buying a new windshield & saving your time & effort. A couple months back I got a brand new windshield installed on my 88 Gl for $187 with a lifetime warranty, all new chrome trim around the windshield & they put on new wipers. I don't really think you can beat that lol .....

I went to Safelite auto glass ..... And no my insurance didn't cover any of that .

so rather than getting a $50 windhshield and glueing it in place so it works for an offroader, I should buy a BRAND new windshield for $200.With my luck with nice,new things it will get cracked/broken the first time I go wheeling.

hell my hatch was nice and clean and straight and only got a very small dent from the tight rocky trails at Evans Creek,but that wasn't good enough for the powers that be so it came undone and rolled off the trailer at 50 MPH and centerpunched a tree.This new shell has some wheeling rash so hopfully it will avoid the same fate.

Everything Ive owned that was nice gets destroyed,while things that are beat up can't be injured... go figure.

Edited by Uberoo