Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 98 outback "after market" security system went crazy and along with no dome light  the ignition interrupt circut activates randomly. 

I have in the past been able to press the under dash button and start the car.

Now that doesn't work either and I have read countless  "interweb" opinions  and even downloaded a wiring diagram for my suby.

ANY advice from  you guys will be totally appreciated.

These systems usually can be removed and the wiring restored to factory without too much trouble. It can usually be done without a diagram if you pay attention to the factory color codes. 1 or 2 wires for the starter interupt will be cut and run through the system, these will need to be repaired. The rest of the security system wires can usually just be clipped and taped up.  Don't try this with a factory system though. Good Luck!

• Like 1

It should plug in between the ign cyl harness. If you go under the dash, you can remove it and plug the key harness back into its original plug, entirely bypassing the unit. any of the other wires are most likely to be clamp connected to original wires near the fuse panel.

You can purchase used key fobs on Ebay for a reasonable price if you want to get one. Be sure to get one designed for your model year if you do that.

Since you stated the dome light wasn't working I have to wonder if the trouble you are having with the security system is due to a intermittent power problem. 

i think if you just unplug the connectors to the ''brain'' under the dash, the sysytem is disconnected and will not interfere with the operation of you car.

(except for maybe your door locks.)

but i agree wit cougar,

it sounds like you have an intermittent power problem.

every time the system loses power it thinks you are trying to steal the car.

and when it gets power back, it triggers the ''alarm''.

it either interrupts the ignition if you have the ''alarm part'',

or it simply triggers the flashing parking lights if you only have the remote entry part.

look for the brain under the dash.

it is a black box about the size of a thin paper back book.

it should have one oe two wire connections (white) on the side.

follow the wiring back from the ''push button''.

btw, if you have the push button, you most likely have a subaru alarm system.

Edited by johnceggleston
  • Like 1

Thanks John.

You and cougar are most likely correct as I have removed the (factory) security system now. The dome light is still on the  fritz.

Still having starting g issues and now I think that may be crank or cam sensor related.

Got an OBD 2  reader so I'll have more ammo for thought soon.

Jeez I love our SUBY but this is testing me pretty hard.

Life ain't fun without challenges though.