Hi, just bought a 95' Legacy L with a 2.2L NA, auto and 177k primarily as a winter vehicle and a back up car. It's a first Subaru for me, so don't get crazy on me. I looked it over pretty good and caught everything that seems to need attention, but figured I'd ask about these issues before jumping into them. Coming from a Saab 9-3 turbo DD the nearly 75% CHEAPER prices you guys get to pay for parts on this older setup was a huge tipping-the-scale factor in buying this (plus AWD) car and the fact everything inside the car works. The interior is basically perfect and flawless. A 72 year old woman owned this for 77k miles so it definitely wasn't beat on nor smoked in. Anyways, here's the list:
1. Rear cross-member has rot and needs replaced before road worthy. I could probably weld in patches and reinforce for next to nothing, or go the replacement route, thoughts? What years/models cross over and are a direct fit?? If a bracket hole or something is different for a muffler hanger or something, not worried.
2. Both dust boots on I think the tie rods are ripped. It's right where I think it enters the rack. What options do I have replacing these? Can I just put replacement boots in? Does there need to be grease in there like a CV boot holds? Steering feels a little heavy (compared to the Saab, but unsure if it's a normal thing or not?) What's the best way to tackle these?
3. Engine tick. Definitely more noticeable on the passenger side, but both sides make it. I thought it might be a lifter tick, but after more searching not sure. The seller had a 2010 Legacy with 2.2L, had him start his, and the tick was VERY similar, but was much quieter. The 95' is more noticeable at idle. Quiets somewhat in gear/under load. Also, first starting it's quiet, after 20-30 sec it's noticeable. Definitely NOT injectors. NO CEL. Could it be a rocker? Are the lifters hydraulic? Piston slap? Doesn't have a "deep" in the block sound, but a lighter sound (dunno if it'd even develop a "deep" sound considering the orientation of the heads). Maybe oil pump failing? Do these typically sludge up in the head?
4. Valve cover gasket needs replaced, will do both sides, but if I need to adjust rockers or something else, gonna hold off until "3." is addressed. Anything to look at with it off? Rockers need torqued? If so, how much? Any special procedure?
5. Fuel pump and filter.... did I say how much I LOVE how inexpensive parts are for this car? Is the pump in-tank? Are there "tricks" to get it out w/o dropping the tank? Where is the fuel filter?
6. Will do a new timing belt, tensioner, pulleys, etc. soon. Is the oil pump under the cover? How long can they typically go?
7. What fluid does the auto take? I'd like to run a synthetic if possible. Is there a drain for the torque converter? The fluid doesn't smell like a US auto (either clean or burnt smell) so I can't tell if it's burnt or not?
8. Rear differential cover has signs of crud build up meaning it probably needs fresh fluid and a new gasket. What fluid works great in these?
9. Been reading the 2.2L ej22 is a desirable engine, why?
I appreciate all the potential help anyone is willing to put forth to help get this car 100% winter road ready and hopefully nice Fall weather ready to give the car some time to run before the weather turns bad. Wanna start fixing everything ASAP so please don't be afraid to pipe up, even if it's just for one topic. I know new guys often get ignored in bigger forums, just hoping this doesn't happen here...
Edited by Bushwick, 12 October 2013 - 01:00 AM.