Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I don't know, but not long ago, I took a bad EJ-25 I took to a wrecking yard as scrap. A young skinney yard worker with no visible arm muscles reached in the back of my OBW, put his arms around the motor, and lifted it over to the waiting scoop of a front end loader. I was impressed, and told him so...............Let the years roll by, and I bet the guy develops back trouble.

• Like 1

I'm going to copy and paste in some input from a topic I started ages ago about ej25 weight. might give you some insight:

"I happened to have an ej25block (loaded with innards, flywheel and oil pan but no heads, accessories, or manifolds). That's a short block, right?
Anyway I was moving it inside off my lawn due to impending rain and unsightly premises complaints(j/k) and I put it on a scale:
140lbs"

I think the heads weigh about 25lbs each. add those plus an intake manifold and some accessories and you'd easily make 220+pounds

I can't really imagine there being very much weight difference between an ej22 and an ej25. they're so close to the same castings that most of the parts are interchangable :)

I could imagine a 2.5 could weigh less than a 2.2 with larger bores. not by much, maybe not even a pound. But my suzuki gs1000 engine weighs less than a gs750 engine being of hte same block design. My colt trooper mk3 /22 revolver weighs more than a .357 with the smaller bore in the barrel.

A short block can be picked up and chucked across the room.

I was wondering why my Legacy wagon only has a curb weight of roughly 3k pounds and not 3400-3600+. I think this explains part of the reason.

^Definitely do NOT lift these things w/o back support or a friend. As someone who fell off a semi and herniated a disc in the lumbar region, back issues are no fun and do NOT go sway (even with surgery) and simple day to day activities are completely screwed forcing extra care or complete avoidance of back-irritating activities. I was 32 when injured (35 now) and 100% healthy/fit. Granted it was a fall, but bad lifting techniques can cause the same types of injuries. *This has been a public service announcement* :(

two people can easily move it all day long.  those $7 harbor freight furniture dollys are worth way more than $7 for moving around horizontally.  then just pick up and drop in. have towels or cloves if it's greasy.

lifting an engine alone depends on you and the vehicle.  remove as much weight as you easily can.

it's much easier into a wagon that you can heave it onto the bumper and slide in verses the up-and-over of a true trunk like on a sedan. have a piece of material you can lay on bumper - just heave the engine on there and then slide it into the back - easy.

on a sedan it's much more difficult - i wouldn't do it alone unless you're very convinced you can - once the weight gets above your waist it's much more difficult to maneuver it that last bit up and over the back of the trunk into the trunk.