Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2003 Legacy GT AT Transmission Issue

Hey everyone,

Quick question for you all, I recently noticed that the automatic transmission shakes the car when I push the accelerator after a while of not touching. It's not much of a gently 'pick up the power' shake, it's quite a move and causes everything in the car to shift place and bang my head on the headrest. It doesn't happen all the time but I'm pretty sure it happens when the car's shifting from 3rd to 4th. When I'm using the shifter itself in manual mode like going uphill, it makes a similar banging noise and feels like something just hit under my feet, again when shifting from 3rd to 4th.

I know most of you'd say its normal because of the huge difference in gear ratios and sudden shift of the power. Believe me its not.

Has anyone every experienced something like this before? I was thinking of chaning the gearbox oil again but it hasn't been 10k km since the last time it was changed.

Thanks!

Has the automatic transmission fluid been changed within the last 30,000 miles?? If not, suggest changing the tranny fluid 3 times, as well as the external tranny filter. I say 3 times, as only about half the tranny can be drained at one time. The remainder stays in the torque converter, and won't drain out. Changing 3 times with short drives between changes does a good job of adding fresh ATF. A change of fluid could very well fix your problem.

Edited by Rooster2