Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Center conole backlighting doesn't work for my 2005 Legacy Wgn.

Hi ALL!

I just got a 2005 Legacy Wagon . The center red console backlighting doesn't work! Also, the dimmer for the dash light doesn't work (it's stuck on low, maybe it's a default position if the dimmer goes bad ? ) , but the outside mirror part of it does! I'm wondering if the dimmer also controls the red console lights and it is the cause of the problem ? OR....just how do I repair the red console backlighting ?

MANY THANKS, SubeTed

The first area that should be checked for trouble is the dash fuses. Make sure there are no blown fuses. A lot of folks have missed a bad fuse thinking it was good on the first check. If the fuses are okay then power to the lights needs to be checked along with the dimmer control that is located on the return side of the light circuit. It makes changes on the ground side of the lights for the control. 

Hi Cougar!

I tried checking some fuses. I looked in the owners manual and tried to find the correct one! Don't really know if I found the right ones because none say "center console illumination" so I guessed !  I looked at fuse 16, it says illumination ,and it was fine ! I looked at fuse 7 , it says combination meter, don't really know what that is , but it also was fine ! I tried to pull out # 5, I can't get to it, it also says combination meter! SO  I don't know what to do with that!

BUT while I was in the fuse/relay box under the hood to get the puller, I did discover I have a I have a cracked relay ! I don't know what it does ! I have taken a pic it's below ! I see that I've got sand in the fuse/relay box, this car came from Rhode Island near the shore I suspect through the years it's just made it's way in there!  

But what does this relay do? And do I need to replace it? IS it the cause of my console lighting (were the heater controls are, etc. ) problem?

I've only had this car a few days, everything else seems to work so far !

MANY THANKS, SubeeTed

Srelay.jpg

Edited by SubeeTed

On the fuse box under my hood ('95 Legacy) there is a little diagram that shows what each fuse relates to (most are in action, but there are a few empty slots/spares).  Yours should be the same I'm guessing.  Also, the owner's manual should have info about fuse arrangement.

My info shows the damaged relay is for the taillight circuit. The one to the left of it is for the rear defroster and the one below it is for the horn. Try swapping the horn relay wit the damaged one and see if that helps. There are three other relays also but aren't shown at the top of the picture. From left to right they are the Main Fan Relay-1, right side headlight, and left side headlight. 

The combination meter is also known as the cluster or the dash gauges console. It is the entire assembly for the gauges.

I assume you not only checked the fuses but made sure power was getting to both sides of them. You can use the slits on top of the fuses to check each side of the fuse using a test light probe.

THANKS again Cougar !

I called the ex-Subee guy I bought the car through. He said before he does head gaskets, he also makes sure the fans work. He replaced the gaskets in this Leg Wgn, he said the fans worked.

The taillights also work.

I didn't know what combination meter meant when I went to check the fuses. I did check #16 fuse, which says illumination, that was OK. I did check # 7 which said "combination meter" . Number 5 also says "combination meter" I didn't check, because I was frustrated by then with the tiny fuses and couldn't get my hand up there! BUT now I will, because it really might be the problem, and I know now that I can check for power using both sides of the fuse holder for power !

MANY THANKS , SubeeTed

Hi Rooster.

I did a Carfax on the car. It wasn't salvaged. I suspect were the car came from West Kingston RI , which is about ten miles from the Atlantic, that simply living there would bring sand in with the air ! The rest of the car is in very good shape, carpets, interior etc. I'm also finding other people with this center console light problem.

THX, SubeeTed

Fixed center Console
lights, and dash dimmer problem AND tail lights ....ALL at the same time ! And
it doesn't make sense !

I've only had this '05 Leg Wgn for 6 days. It's
a good car, I overlooked a couple of problems when I bought it. I only drove it
in the day time. I didn't notice that the center console lights were out, were
the heater controls are. I didn't know that the dimmer for the instrument panel
didn't work either ! I also didn't notice that my tail lights didn't work, but I
did have break lights !

SO......I wanted to repair the console lights, I
was told to look into the fuses and also check to see is your getting voltage at
the fuse connectors. In order to pull fuses I needed that puller, which resides
in the fuse/relay box under the hood. I went there, got puller, I noticed that I
had a relay that was cracked, when I looked at the chart it says "Tail light
relay " . I didn't think anything of it at the time, I thought I had tail lights
! Anyhow, I pulled fuses #16 , #7 and finally #5, all are fine! I didn't check
for voltage. I then noticed that I didn't have tail lights ! So I suspected that
the relay was bad. I tried pulling it, what a pain, I then realized the reason
it was broken is because someone was trying to pull it one time with needed nose
pliers (like I was trying ) and cracked it. It's TOO far away to my Subee
dealer. Went to local salvage yard, I hoped maybe they had a relay puller ?
Anyhow, we yanked a relay out of donor Subee. The mechanic there said I should
try his little hook thing that looks like a screw driver, well that worked! I
took out my dead relay, popped the other one in and YAY !! Tail lights worked.
Went in my car out of curiosity and noticed that my console lights were on, the
dimmer worked and I found out I had other interior lights that worked also! ALL
this by replacing a relay under the hood that says " Tail light relay " !
Doesn't make sense but I'll take it !!