Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 SPFI 2xMAF's one large one small?

Hi guys.  from Oz.

On my EA81 SPFI (1989) conversion I had a MAF that read low on one reading.  So I ordered one from the states that was cheap.  Fitted it and had more mid range power.  See below. The old one that read low is on the right. The one I replaced it with is identical and on the engine now.

IMG_0055.jpg

The one on the left is another one that I ordered which was more expensive.  It has the same part number being 22680 AA100 AFH38-01 THEN A SERIAL NUMBER LIKE 8217

From then on they are different.  Firstly there is a number 3 inside a small cavity near the plug see below and a letter "B" on the case.  On the alloy housing there is marked M& whereas the smaller ones are marked M2

IMG_0054-3.jpg

The opening of the larger one is huge about 10mm diameter wider and has a wire mesh filter at the filter end.

I was wondering what the larger one is off and if I could use it in my EA81. I would need to modify the air intake to take the larger mount but that is easy.

What are your thoughts?

IMG_0050.jpg

Edited by tweety

I think someone swapped the wrong hotwire into the wrong housing during a "rebuild".

Note the fresh looking QA sticker and the different looking screws w/no dirt in the recesses.Shiny housing too.

ER27s and mpfi ea82s use 22680-AA110 instead of 22680-AA100 so it is easy to see how a mistake might be made.

I think someone swapped the wrong hotwire into the wrong housing during a "rebuild".

I don't think so.  The plastic cover of the unit has different ears for mounting between the 2.

I just don't think that the larger one is a USDM spfi meter at all.  It's for some other make or an EJ SPFI setup.

Thanks Gloyale.  emailed rockauto. they want VIN number, part numbers etc....cant see why they cant get that off their order on their computer. anyway replied and wait and see. All this info of course will end up on their desk if not successful. no names of course...

Housing looks very similar to a Hitachi AFH 50-06 as used on 1.6-2.0 litre Nissans.

Note the cast boss below the electronics in photo #2.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/91-92-93-94-95-NISSAN-SENTRA-INFINITI-AIR-FLOW-SENSOR-22680-53J00-AFH50-06-/181067642869?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a2878f7f5&vxp=mtr#ht_743wt_896

Edited by naru

That "new" one is a remanufactured unit, probably by Cardone. That torn-off sticker is the reman sticker along with that "QA" sticker. Cardone does not use the original housing units (probably due to lack of supply) but uses ones off the nissans which will work. The sensors also mount differently into the housings which is why they use "Tamper-proof" Torx screws instead of the original phillips heads. The sensors will not swap.

If you look closely at the plug, you can see where that plug head was "fused" onto the plastic sensor body. They do this because the Nissan head was wired differently and wouldn't match the Subaru.

Having seen lots of stuff like this from Cardone (I work for a parts house), I avoid reman'd stuff like the plague.

This is getting interesting.  Rockauto have been very quick to reply to me which is great. However they have concluded their investigation into this matter with the result that has diappointed me.

They concluded that I was indeed sent the wrong part with identical part numbers. 

"I have looked into this further. The part that was ordered would not fit on a 1989 Loyale, so that is likely the reason
the two parts are different. Looking at the images and the cross reference number on the part, they match what Standard Motor Products have as well. I apologize that the part was not what was needed, but it does appear that the
correct part was sent. "

It was great to get an apology.  However in another breath 

"Regarding a return on the part, please be
advised that RockAuto offers a 30-day return window for all parts, as long as
they have not been installed and are in the original packaging. Since your
order is 3 months
old
, we will not be able to accept your return.

We do value your business and thank you for shopping with RockAuto!"

So what are my options?   I have a part that I really dont know conclusively what make and model it fits and likely when I do find out it is likely it wont be a model in Australia.  This item was a huge $400 AUS to buy, a large amount for a non working guy. I did explain to Rockauto in previous correspondence that some parts of my SPFI system had been in transit to USA so I could not compare their part to the original. I simply thought the gauze was there as it was remanufactured.

I have sent a reply to Rockauto asking for them to reconsider their 30 day policy on this matter. We wait and see.

Well again a quick reply considering we are on the other side of the globe.

Here is a response from Rockauto. I mentioned I have outlined my ordeal on USMB.

"Thanks for your response. I've reviewed that
forum and we still not accept your return. RockAuto offers a 30-day return
window for all parts, as long as they have not been installed and are in the
original packaging. Since your order is more than two months outside
of the return window, we will not be able to accept your return.

We do value your business and thank you for shopping with RockAuto!

Thank you, Will  

RockAuto Customer Service"

So, thanks to Rockauto guys, I have a MAF for sale. Same part number as an original Subaru EA82 SPFI MAF but doesnt fit my SPFI system of 1989 vintage as advertised by them on their own web site. And to top it off I dont know what this MAF comes off, what it fits. 

Perhaps I can be clever- I can advertise the part to fit an EA82 as it has the same part number and sell it for the same huge amount I paid for it to a guy in North America. I'll have a 30 day money return guarantee but by the time it hits your shores, you open it up (so its no longer in the original packaging as required) and discuss the issue time will be up.

Nah...could never do it.....I could never be such an arsehole....

That's lame.

I just went and looked at my pile of MAFs and none of them match that.

They clearly have the part mislabeled.  Nissan Shares a similar # system for there parts.......I bet that is a Nissan MAF that just happens to share the same part #

There own website has both types pictured.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1268513&parttype=5128&ck[iD]=0&ck[idlist]=0&ck[viewcurrency]=USD&ck[php_SESSION_ID]=qaaioc9itj0d8fhv32ht5jbqu4

The A-1 cardone looks to be the smaller, correct subaru MAF

The Airtex and SMP versions listed look like the bigger one. 

The weird thing is my stash all have the smaller housing, no screen.....but all are the type with the mounting ear sticking off the end of the electronic body.......whereas the one you have that is the "correct" one, has the mounting holes recessed.

Have you tried unbolting the electic unit from the larger housing and installing it on the smaller one???

• 4 weeks later...

thanks Gloyale.  I think you are correct on all fronts.

I have now 2 spare MAF electronic units and two housings.  I did squeeze the larger unit onto the rubber neck intake and it ran crap.  One day I'll unscrew it and try it on a standard housing. But my suspicion is that it wont go well.  until I', desperate I'll let it gather dust. 

Thankyou Rockauto- for selling me the wrong part.

thanks Gloyale.  I think you are correct on all fronts.

I have now 2 spare MAF electronic units and two housings.  I did squeeze the larger unit onto the rubber neck intake and it ran crap.  One day I'll unscrew it and try it on a standard housing. But my suspicion is that it wont go well.  until I', desperate I'll let it gather dust. 

Thankyou Rockauto- for selling me the wrong part.

I have had my own problems with Rockauto on several occasions and sometimes there is no other place to go because at times the pricing is just to good..I would suggest to get in contact with someone who actually handles disputes (not the sales reps)…Make them work...open a dispute claim/file... get the persons name and contact info so that pics can be sent..tell that individual you have no problem with their 30 day policy, but, challenge their position once again that the original part was wrong to begin with Supported with plenty of pics that they can see and that there own info is misleading.. ..also include supporting info from this thread…the fact that the intake hose will not fit the part correctly is reason enough that this part is from another vehicle..I have done this before and got my money back on brake parts and bearings and now I am in the process to send pictures of the wrong clutch kit send to me..that is a long story in itself…good luck and keep persisting (pestering)...

Edited by Petersubaru

I DO have a spare, good, original MAF of a 90 SPFI if you're interested.

With the above part, without that cardone part number, you're SOL. The OEM Hitachi part number on the MAF is useless since the only thing that matches that part number is the plastic case the guts sit inside. Do you still have the box the part came in? (Not the shipping box) It might have the reman's part number on there for a reference, however RA likes to sterilize their remans and white boxes so you don't know where it's original source.

That's also the trade-off with buying stuff online. You'd better make DAMN sure that's what you want or you could end up eating it. And now you can see why part's houses parts are no where near as cheap... we have people to ensure this stuff doesn't happen and to bend the rules when it does.. haha

after Tweetys finding of differences in the MAFs sharing same part number, you would expect good guys like Rock to update the info available on this part and state that currently is known two different size mounts and to check measures against theirs and yours before ordering. If they have not done so, would be a shame. They don't make the parts, just carry them and on sell them. Their closeout prices are good, even better if the stuff does not take a one year (so far) vacation enroute in WA :( no fault of Rocks mind you !

COOOOOooooEEEEeeeeee Maaaarky !!!

Edited by jono