Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Been a while since I was on here but I need some info.  I just bought a 94 Legacy LSI and it had the air suspension removed.  It rides low and boaty.  I would like to change out the struts for something taller and firmer but can't break the bank to do it.  I read the sticky but there was nothing I found that applied.  I do about 20% off roading at my Army base to bring supplies so it's not fast but I need ground clearance.  I don't want to get into lift kits for the price. Any suggestions on which existing models gear will swap over?  I heard the 2000 Forester fronts are a plugin but can't confirm that and didn't find anything on the rears.  Thanks.

Your best option for tire to strut clearance is 96-99 outback or 04-08 forester struts, 98-03 forester rear struts are shorter. You can use the outback struts with your existing springs and mounts for a 1.5-2.0 inch lift, using 96-99 outback rear trailing arm brackets you can run up to a 27" tire without too much trouble.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys and Happy New Year!

I want to make sure I understand, the strut is the entie assembly including spring, damping cartridge and casing. 

I can use the strut from 96-99 outback or 98-03 Forester in both the front and back for a lift of how much? 

Or I can just use the strut assembly from the 96-99 outback and my springs to get a couple of inches in both the front and back OR I can use the damper cartridge from the 96-99 outback with my strut assembly to get a couple of inches.  I know this is a little confusing but I have limited access to tools and space and only want to do this once.

• 1 month later...

use 96-99 outback rear struts with forester springs in the rear and complete forester setups in the front. The 04'+ will be slightly higher but the springs from anything before that are taller. they are also softer so if your looking for  stiffness stay with the outback setup all the way around. also change the rear trailing arm brackets it is totally worth it. take the time to pb blast the bolts for the brackets very well and try not to use an impact on them. there are welded bolts in the frame that if broen are a tragedy to get out. I did mine last night and ended up cutting off one of the bolts and now have to weld the bracket in place. if you want to go ghetto drill new holes in the back strut mount holes to fit the new pattern, if you have spring compressors etc keep your old tophats and change them out. the easiest way is to get the outback complete strut assemblys all the way around from a 96-99 and change them out. it is the cheapest and youll get almost 2 inches for around a hundred bucks.

Your best option for tire to strut clearance is 96-99 outback or 04-08 forester struts, 98-03 forester rear struts are shorter. You can use the outback struts with your existing springs and mounts for a 1.5-2.0 inch lift, using 96-99 outback rear trailing arm brackets you can run up to a 27" tire without too much trouble.

It's been a while since this was posted but.....

98-02 have the lower rear spring perches. 03-08 have the higher. It was changed the same year the body style changed.

• 1 year later...

Howdy!  Sorry, I've been off for a while...family obligations.  So let me see if I have this straight.  On my 94 Lego, I install 99 complete outback strut assemblies (strut, cartridge and springs) and I only have to swap 99 top hats for the 94s and I should get 1.5-2 inches of lift.  What was that about drilling new strut mount holes?  How difficult is changing the trailing arm brackets.  I will have to do this in a garage with limited clearance all around on jack stands.  Does it matter that the current setup was the refit for the air suspension which was done before I got the wagon?