Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Wheel adapters and safety

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 spicypeanut

spicypeanut

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • LA CA

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:14 PM

So I've got 2 sets of wheels just sitting in my garage. 1 set of xxr 530 which are both 5x100 and 5x114.3, and a set of '13 limited sti BBS which are 5x114.3. I would love to play around with different wheels on the brat but I do not want to compromise safety.

Now I see people running wheel spacers all the time, my question is how safe are they? Do they need to be made out of any specific type of metal? Most of the ones I've come across on ebay are aluminum. Here is an example:

http://www.ebay.com/...f31ee6c&vxp=mtr

Does anyone know what bolt pattern the stock brat uses? I can only assume from my short time on this board they are 4x140 but I would appreciate conformation. 

#2 SS_Subi

SS_Subi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Salt Lake City Utah

Posted 21 December 2013 - 11:40 PM

Wheel spacers can be safe but just like any other mod you do to your car there will be precautions to take.  Make sure you get quality spacers and make sure when you install them you torque down the wheels properly.  In some of the larger vehicles I've built we saw some premature hub/bearing wear but the vehicles were also much MUCH heavier.  

#3 Uberoo

Uberoo

Subaru Wheeler

• Members
  • 3,393 posts
  • lewiston,ID

Posted 22 December 2013 - 01:21 AM

how many race cars do you see running wheel adapters? Wheel spacers and adapters can be safe but really only for street applications with nice gentle driving.If they were strong how come the manufacturs don't make hubs out of aluminum?

#4 carfreak85

carfreak85

EA81T Sherpa

• Members
  • 4,754 posts
  • Bell-something...

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:06 PM

how many race cars do you see running wheel adapters? Wheel spacers and adapters can be safe but really only for street applications with nice gentle driving.If they were strong how come the manufacturs don't make hubs out of aluminum?

http://www.dana.com/...hub systems/lms

They do make aluminum wheel hubs, most likely with a T6 heat treatment...

Wheel spacers/adapters can be made safe, but it takes some real engineering.  Most folks, especially around this board, are not willing to pay for that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users