Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Ceramic Wiring Harness Recommendations

ceramic wiring harness subaru impreza headlights

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Armchair Bronco

Armchair Bronco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Seattle, WA

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:17 PM

The wiring harness for the driver's side headlight on my 2000 Subaru Impreza 2.2L "L" sedan has melted. My daughter was on a long road trip yesterday, and I guess 3+ hours of continuous use was enough to melt the horizontal tab that controls the low beam (high beam is still OK).

I want to replace the current plastic harness with a ceramic one. Can I get some suggestions? 

I do a lot of soldering and have all the soldering irons, shrink tubing and heat guns needed for the job.

This one on Amazon looks like it's intended for folks who DON'T want to solder:

Here's one that requires soldering (curious why they didn't color code the wires):

I want to do this job right once (will replace both sides) but I can wait forever for shipping.

Suggestions?

#2 Olnick

Olnick

Ol' Subaru Guy

• Members
  • 2,581 posts
  • Honolulu HI

Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:17 PM

Here's what I did a few years back--has been working well ever since: 

http://www.ultimates...headlight +poof

Good luck.

#3 rverdoold

rverdoold

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • Netherlands

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:25 PM

In the same boat now. Last trip (4k miles) the passenger side connector completely melted. Including damaging the rubber boot around the connector. I think it melted because poor conduction between the connector and the lamp. Unfortunately I was stopped by the German Zoll (border control) and those are not to mess with, I could not fix it in the pouring rain, only luck I had is that it is not obligatory to run with lights on during the day. After they went through our papers and luggage (I am Dutch so no issues to travel in EU) I switched the lamps off and said good bye. 

Made a quick fix now because it is obligatory to have them on in Poland and Baltics.

On the topic:

Why ceramics, better cooling or less change for melting (obviously)?

#4 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Members
  • 5,661 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:27 PM

I run my '85 Subie with ceramic plugs on the headlamps, since the 1990's decade; the idea is that the Ceramic plugs will bear more efficiently the heat from the Bulb; so those ceramic plugs are usually installed instead the plastic ones, when you change your regular 65W Halogens, with 100W halogens, in order to prevent melting of such plug.

Kind Regards.

#5 Armchair Bronco

Armchair Bronco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Seattle, WA

Posted 08 January 2014 - 03:00 AM

I ended up ordering two inexpensive upgrade kits from Rally Lights:

CPH4CFC_md_2.jpg

The upgrade can be done w/o any soldering. Just cut off the existing wires close to the melted plastic housing, crimp on some new connectors, and pop them in to the white ceramic housing. Then cover the whole thing with the blue cover.

http://www.rallyligh...-terminals.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users