Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can *NOT* remove axle stub from outer cup. Rear 4wd

Anybody have any tips to separate the rear axle spindle from the outer cv cup?

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/94586-gl-awd-rear-cv-axle-removal-problem/

Post # 7 in that linked thread shows you the stub and the axle cup I'm talking about.

Rear pass. side of a 4wd 87 GL. I have a new axle to put in the rear but it comes with no axle stub, so I am trying to remove the axle stub from the axle cup. I'm about to give up for today because that SOAB will *not* come apart. I don't have a vice, and I don't have a torch, which are two things I think would be helping me greatly at the moment.

penitrating fluid and BFH and luck.Baring that take the control arm off and have it pressed out.Just curious, you did punch out the roll pin on the stub axle right?

Afterwards, take a wire wheel to the stub shaft splines and coat them with grease before install so it comes apart easier when you have to change the axle again.

All of those listed things have proven unsuccessful. I gave up and decided I would just re-use the cup, but now I can't figure out how to remove the race/bearings/joint assembly from the outer cup. This whole job is really turning in to an absolute PITA. I *should* have just bought remanned axles with the axle stub included on them.

Soaked in carb cleaner, thousands of applications of PB blaster, BFH, then a B-erFH, Insane amounts of heat, nothing. I've given up. Part of the problem is that it's just the outer cup with the stub, all off the car. No axle on it. Made it sorta difficult to get good swings on it but regardless, I give up (which I HATE to do).

Gonna have a shop have a go at it tomorrow. Also expecting my 2nd axle to be delivered tomorrow, hopefully it has the axle stub on it.

I do have a question though;

All the axle stub pictures I've seen on here, none of them have this rubber piece that mine does. Right where the axle stub mates with the cup, there's a thick rubber ring pressed in there as well. Am I going to be alright without this rubber ring, because it's pretty much destroyed now....I'm thinking it was there as a vibration damper and maybe a dust cover for the bearings. Little concerned about it.

Thoughts? Experiences?

I wish you luck with your axle replacement,fighting rust can be a bitch without a vice to hold things in place.

As far as the rubber "packing" goes, the driver side rear axle on my EA81 had it but the pass.side did not.

It allowed the cup to have some play on the stub, causing a clucking sound from the rear while going over bumps.

I simply cut the lip off the smaller end of an old C.V boot and used that as the "packing".

It would be best to find an actual bushing or o-ring, But if you have your old boot and a way to cut it, its a free source.

Good luck!

post-24888-0-91732500-1393795648_thumb.jpg

Edited by 81EA81

if you're not mushrooming the splined shaft via BFHing - maybe you're not pounding it hard enough.  on the really bad ones - i have to grind/file down the shaft to get it to pass through once it's loose as the end is all mushroomed out from pounding.  i've only seen it that bad a couple of times sounds like you got one.

81EA81, thanks for the blowup. Packing, eh? Interesting thing to call a little damper. That's a great idea about using some of the boot, I have what's left of the old boots to chop up, plus the big "rubber band" type rubber that went over the clamps on the original axles, so that's great food for thought, thanks for the idea.

grossgary, I understand what you're saying, but I don't think that's the case here. I haven't gotten the cup to budge a millimeter. Nothing, nada, zip. It's stuck on there damn good.

I'm done with it though, and I got my answer about the "Packing" rubber on the end. Now it gets handed over to somebody in a shop. Lacking a vice was probably my downfall this time. Hoping whomever has their hand on it next doesn't eff up my axle stub while getting it all apart.

Thanks for the advice and especially for the exploded view.