Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey guys, I got a 1990 lego, manual 2.2 and i'm in my final stages of making it a vehicle that can survive where I live. Lifted, Locked, Updated breaks, quality rubber, etc.

I would like to be able to gear it down with either a older model transfer case or just fully change the first gear ratios..There is one other 93 Impreza in my town that has already done this, so I know its possible. Although he is out of town for the next few months.

Anybody know what generation transfer case I should be looking for? I have access to an 89 Loyal T/C

Taking ideas...This is also a budget car

Thanks

g

...There is one other ... in my town that has already done this...

As far as I know, there is a Red Legacy (not impreza) with a AUDM EJ Dual Range transmission in your same city, Moab, it belongs to a Good friend of mine, whose User Name is "Superu" ... maybe you want to buy a Dual Range EJ transmission and do a similar "Superu" as the title of this thread says, here's one Dual Range EJ Trans for sale in USA:

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/144426-ej-dual-range-trans-for-sale/

Kind Regards.

Hey dude,

I'm in Moab too!!

Per JesZek, I have a 95 legacy Sedan, 2-tone maroon and black.

are you in a 2-tone grey and black lifted wagon? Do you work a the zip line tour?

I am unaware of any other dual range swapped new gen Soobs in Moab, but I know of like 5 in the country, and there are  abunch more old gen dual range 4x4 swapped EJ soobs out there.

Based on what you said here, it sounds like you'd want a dual range 4x4 from any dual range 5-speed EA subaru (say 85-89 GL wagaon). That'll give you a hi and lo range, the lo will be nearly a 60% gearing reduction AND real 4x4.  You'd be driving FWD when not locked in hi or lo 4x4. 

The route I went is maintaining full time AWD (cuz it's awesome! ;) but sourced an Australian dual range 5-speed FT AWD gearbox. There are a few ways about this and details there too, but it can be done. I have a friend here with a 97 OB on king springs who'se looking for this swap for his wagon.

Anyhoo, send me a PM or since this is your thread we can talk about it here. 

There are ways to get a low range in your 90 legacy, both mean changing the transmission. . . .Gloyale gave you the quick and dirty to get a real and useful 4x4, but you'll lose your 4.11 axle ratio for that, unless you do a bunch of other stuff...

Anyhoo, glad I stumbled on this thread and tell me more abou the 93 impreza you referenced! :)

Ciao.

Hey guys, I got a 1990 lego, manual 2.2 and i'm in my final stages of making it a vehicle that can survive where I live. Lifted, Locked, Updated breaks, quality rubber, etc.

I would like to be able to gear it down with either a older model transfer case or just fully change the first gear ratios..There is one other 93 Impreza in my town that has already done this, so I know its possible. Although he is out of town for the next few months.

Anybody know what generation transfer case I should be looking for? I have access to an 89 Loyal T/C

Thanks

g

• Like 1

LoL! ... :P ... I always thought it was Red, Dark Red, covered with Mud / Dust \ etc from Offroading, which made it Look like Maroon...

My mistake...

Kind Regards.

HAHA!

I can never remember if its Mica Ruby or Ruby Mica, its color code 947, but now it's 2- tone with satin black... well 3- tone with oxidized satin black and the hood  B)

P1010460.JPGP1010474.JPGP1010486.JPG

But More commonly looks somewhere between those and these

P1010642.JPGP1010679.JPGP1010695.JPG

Edited by superu
  • Like 2

I digress!!  This is about you Gaar!!  :D

tell me more about your rig and where you want to take it and I'd be happy to share with you what I know of the modifying Subarus world. This is a good community for your question and you'll get a lot of good help here.

• 3 weeks later...

G,

Hey dude.

Is the 93impreza in Moab Rhett's 2dr by any chance?

What other info do you have on this impreza in Moab?

Again, I live in Moab, year 'round and would love to share what I've done and what I know.

Continue in this thread or PM me.

Let's get your questions out and see what's possible! :)

Ciao!

Thanks

g

• 3 months later...