Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 IMPORT ENGINE

I have just purchased a EA82 imported motor every thing looks fine and in as new condition . The distributor does not have a vacume advance 

Can I use the same ecufrom the old motor  or do I need to use the dizzy with the vaccume advance from the old motor as I only have the ecu from the old motor plus a spare ecu also from a motor with the vacume advance fitted 

Tony J

use the disty and intake from your old motor....just use the new longblock basically. either that or find some that go with the car you are putting it in and use those...use the ecu that matches the above

Edited by Subruise

The throttle body MEFI intake manifold and piping is all the same as the old motor only difference is the dizzy and the position of no1 spark plug lead can't use the one that it came with as the cap is cracked .Inside everything is covered by a metal plate . Also there is a hole in the cap between 1 and 4  which looks like it would take a tube the the size of the vacuum tube to the dizzy ,  its just a hole like an extra ht lead fitting with a solid Bakelite raised section inside it that would take a vacuum size tube. there is nothing connected to the inside of the hole . never seen anything like it before

Every thing on the motor is exactly the same as the old motor even the dizzy caps are interchangeable .  could maybe just use another cap and see what goes .

Not sure of year model as I brought the original motor three years ago ,its in a 92 Brumby - Bratt with the 5 speed dual range box   Went pretty well till turbo put water into the heads then it stopped 

Tony J 

Easiest way to make it work with your old ecu is to just switch the old dizzy in the new engine. Pictures would be good to know the differences between the new and the old ones. Also check that the dizzy connector plugs have the same pin amount in them. If not you will have to use the old one with the original ecu anyway. Basicly I think the new one will not work with the old ecu because the new dizzy pobably has electronic ignition advance system built into it and the old one uses vacuum to change it. So the old ecu won't probably have the timing advance control in it as needed for the newer dizzy. (btw probably 4 pin connector in the new one).

Copffs Harbour? Not the place sometimes called Cox's Harbour where bananas grow nearby ?

The organised tangle of silver painted metal pipes and tubes that carry fuel and vacuum on the EA82T's are different between models.

If you tell what the ECU is by part # or plugs might help get a correct answer.....

If the ECU is a 3 plugger running a dizzy with vacuum, you mention turbo, so is EA82T not just an mpfi EA82 from a NA Loyale or Vortex ? -the EA82T 3 plugger with flapper afm has a vacuum supply pipe to the dizzy location. If the import engine you got has a no vac can dizzy it won't have a vac supply either. Non spider inlet manifold throttle body should have two vac supply ports on the front side facing up. The one on the same side as the dizzy gets vacuum to the dizzy on vac dizzy models. Yours should still have two ports, just need to T piece into that side.

Those dizzy caps with hole on it for a tube? usually has a rubber vent cap on it to stop moisture getting in, not sure why they have the hole/breather - an electrical thing ? Always the way when someone sells an import from Japan - someone feels the need to break the dizzy caps :(

Where'd you get an import EA82T in this day and age ? You'd think Japan has not run an EA82T for at least twenty years !!

Edited by jono
  • Like 1

Thanks for help , Dizzy has a four pin plug . Old motor had the vaccume not working yet motor ran great till turbo blew a seal Shall use all the old inlet gear 

Brought motor from Rollin imports   Burleigh Heads QLD    Its like new no dirty marks even inside timing belt covers was spotless ; fitted new belts but old belts looked fine 

Once again thanks to everyone especially ruparts 

ARJ