Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ok.. fuel line id help

hey guys, thanks for being here!

i bought my gl with a chop job of a weber conversion, i been smelling raw gas every now and then and i noticed yesterday that the line pictured on the right is just gurgling fuel out and onto the ground.. these are on the right side of the engine bay. is it some sort of fuel takeup line, or aspirator for the old carb?? maybe i know now why i'm getting such crap mpgs.

can i just plug it or should i run it soewhere?

thanks again

It's odd that fuel would somehow travel back through the return line...  One is for the tank vent so it should not be capped off.  The return line can be capped off if you don't attach it to the carb.  My tank vent has a small filter on it so debris/water don't somehow travel down the tube.  I also do not have the return line connected to the carb, although some people will pull the gas inlet off of the hitachi carb and throw it on the weber, thereby allowing you to use the proper return line.

What chompy posted.

I use the return line on my Weber. It's purpose is to bleed off excess pressure before the needle-float valve in the carb. Some use the return, some don't.  It is a good idea to put a little cover/filter over the vent line.

Also, do not smoke when you are working on these lines......................

Edited by silverback

Um, isn't the carb feed line down on the chassis rail?

The EFI one is up the top.

There are 3 lines, those 2 plus one sitting on top of the chassis rail.

From my memory (it's been a while since I had a carb version):

on carb

• feed line is on the rail
  • the one on the right you've pictured is the return line
  • the other one is for the tank breather

on EFI models:

• the other one stays the same
  • the right one of the 2 you've pictured gets changed to a much larger one for the fuel feed
  • the one on the chassis rail stays the same but becomes the return line for the EFI
Edited by wagonist

This thread is about a carburetor model.  Below is the carb model layout. I am guessing that the charcoal canister is gone.  Note that the fuel filter is back by the tank.  You may want to change this when convenient since you believe the Weber conversion was a rush job. The filter was probably not changed.

post-8313-0-29028700-1396479229_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

It's odd that fuel would somehow travel back through the return line...  One is for the tank vent so it should not be capped off.  The return line can be capped off if you don't attach it to the carb.  My tank vent has a small filter on it so debris/water don't somehow travel down the tube.  I also do not have the return line connected to the carb, although some people will pull the gas inlet off of the hitachi carb and throw it on the weber, thereby allowing you to use the proper return line.

Not really odd......If you look at were the return line goes back into the tank it's near the bottom.  Every time you brake and fuel sloshes forward it was probably was siphoning some out.

As stated those are the Vent and Return lines.  The one that was leaking on the right in the picture is the return.....the other larger one is the vent