Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Found out my 99 OBS (175k miles, EJ22 Phase-2, MAP/Cali) has a rod knock, and confirmed with the local Subaru mechanic. I'm wondering what to do now since the phase 2 motors seem hard to come by. I haven't found one online, not even on ebay (except that one with 212k on it) I'm going to check my local junk yard today and see if they happen to have one, or can get me one, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Typically all I've seen is a bunch of Foresters in the yard. I recently did the timing belt, water pump, cam seals, all tune up stuff, outback tranny/rear diff (4.11) clutch/flywheel/rear main seal/Suspension lift/tires/wheels, etc. So I'm pretty deep into this rig.

My realistic options seem to be as follows:

1. sell the car.

2. Swap to an EJ25 and have machinist put in head gaskets and ARP studs, maybe bearings/rings/etc if I can afford it.

3. By some magic find an affordable Phase 2 EJ22.

I come from Hondas, and generally when we needed motors, we'd just get a JDM one from Hmotorsonline.com. Is anyone aware of an equivalent go-to importer for Subarus? Particularly one that would have a phase 2?

I've seen the EJ20 NA, but the reduced power and questionable compatibility of my smog components in Cali would concern me, and if I'm going through all that hassle, I think I'd sooner just get a turbo model. If theres one that bolts in and is compatible with my electronics (just needs ECU swap) then I'd seriously consider that, but from what I've read most of them need serious wiring, and while I'm comfortable with that, if all of my smog components aren't the same as what came on the car then I'm not gonna pass visual inspection. I have gotten JDM Honda swaps past the smog inspections, but only when the proper smog components were in place.

If you have any other thoughts/options, please let me know. Thanks!

Edited by blk99obs

And if power is a concern, a 2.5 block could be slapped in between your heads as well. You only need your heads and intake manifold. To make it work with your car. Doesn't matter what the block is.

I was wondering about this... So is the issue with the 2.5 typically the heads, and the bottom end is fine? I read one of the stickys, it seems oil loss issues, and something about oil pump screws came up? It would be cool to build a motor off of a 2.5 block, if I could do so relatively simply, and have it be reliable. That might be worth it if I could get some more low end grunt out of it. How does the timing, compression, etc all work out?

My local junk yard said they could get me another 99 imp motor with 90k miles for $1000 with 6 month warranty, so that might be what I end up doing since I'm trying to avoid down time too, as this is my daily rig. A straight swap over a couple of days is much better for me than pulling my motor out and waiting around bumming rides and borrowing trucks to take the engine back and forth to the machine shop, etc.

Just do what i did. Keep an eye on Craigslist for any EJ22 engine you can find. I got very lucky and found a 94 Impreza engine (complete) for $160 w/224K that had already been pulled and was sitting on the floor of a local fellows garage. I tore it down to the shortblock and put it in my 99 Legacy with some new triple steel HG's last summer and it still runs great. My 99 had a spun rod bearing on No. 1

You can check out my thread titled "Well I found another project EJ22" (Sorry, I haven't mastered the function of creating a link yet)

post-28702-0-86467800-1400339393_thumb.jpg

Edited by darsdoug

So anyone got an answer for me on the frankenmotor question? Are all of the EJ25 problems in the head? or are there issues that need addressed in the block too? I have run across one person saying they used a larger oil pump out of a WRX in it, wanna say EJ 251? because it was 10mm rather than 8mm or something like that. Pretty much I'm looking for reliability, and not having to mess around with head gaskets or rod knocks or det.

In a perfect world, I'd have a 2.5 (probably phase-1 for lower, more dependable CR) block with ACL race bearings, new rings, bigger oil pump, and then OEM HG, my phase-2 heads, maybe some ARP studs for insurance, and delta torque cams... and with any luck I'd have a beast of a motor thats reliable... but then seeing as how I only have the heads in that equation, and those are pretty questionable (very clattery, probably need machine shop work) and I'm not comfortable building the motor myself. I'd probably be in for way more time/money than I can reasonably afford.

I really can only afford $1000-$1200 including oil and all the other little nickle and dime stuff I'd need, and little more than a weekend of my car being apart.

I do like the link to the head surfacing article, and I think thats a good idea, but I'm thinking I'd need to do more than that. For example, I can't see trusting any used 2.5 block without tearing it down and putting in new bearings/rings, and I'm also not comfortable doing that myself.

Whats the deal with JDM replacement motors? Any recommended sites?

Edited by blk99obs