Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

79 Brat in Vegas

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#51 lvsarge

lvsarge

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 204 posts
  • Las Vegas

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:28 PM

Ha ha yeah this should be fun... Socket should be here tomorrow (I do not own any 3/4 drive sockets)

I did try to heat the nut up a few times and hit it with my impact. No luck.

Oh and here's that bearing video I made that never got posted previously

And here's me making more work for myself... Driver's side, rear wheel well. I need to get this stupid socket before I end up cutting up the whole truck out of boredom.

#52 superpoo93

superpoo93

New User

• Gold Subscribers
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • las vegas

Posted 29 January 2015 - 07:59 PM

Sarge, the offer still stands to use the 1/2 impact wrench (345-ft lbs). and I have a regular 1/2 36mm socket. and a 32mm socket for those aftermarket nuts. I had an issue just like yours and the impact from my work, did the job. I have no problem bringing over, just let me know. I'm free Friday after 5;00pm. and Sun early before the SuperBowl.

#53 turbosubarubrat

turbosubarubrat

2nd gen hoarder

• Members
  • 1,344 posts
  • Sandy, OR

Posted 30 January 2015 - 01:12 AM

Every thing i have had has come off with a impact. But sometimes i have to use a 3/4 to get them off. I had to break loose the drain plug on a 5 speed d/r a couple days ago with a 25 inch breaker bar and a 4 foot cheater bar since it just wouldn't budge. Have you tried putting a cheater bar on it and standing/jumping on it?

#54 lvsarge

lvsarge

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 204 posts
  • Las Vegas

Posted 30 January 2015 - 11:04 AM

My 25" bar snapped. Hence why I got the 40".

Superpoo, Thanks again. I'd consider Friday (today) but my wife is actually having a bunco party and there's going to be an overwhelming amount of estrogen in the house, so I am vacating the premises tonight.

Sundays are sketchy for me.. Early is usually not a good time for me, either. Maybe next week if I haven't cracked it by then?

#55 superpoo93

superpoo93

New User

• Gold Subscribers
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • las vegas

Posted 30 January 2015 - 12:05 PM

Sounds good, just let me know. We can work out a good day next week, if the new breaker bar doesn't work.

Noel

#56 lvsarge

lvsarge

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 204 posts
  • Las Vegas

Posted 05 February 2015 - 01:25 PM

Big huge monster thanks and shout out to superpoo93 (aka Noel) who swung by with his dewalt electro-impact that made short work of that stubborn axle nut. Now, I can get back to work. Thanks again, sir!

#57 superpoo93

superpoo93

New User

• Gold Subscribers
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • las vegas

Posted 09 February 2015 - 10:14 PM

No problem Sarge, anytime!

#58 Brett!

Brett!

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Kansas City

Posted 12 February 2015 - 11:42 AM

Man I wish their were people who cared about Old Subarus where I live.  

#59 lvsarge

lvsarge

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 204 posts
  • Las Vegas

Posted 12 February 2015 - 02:24 PM

So, my CV joint was looking really nasty due to a torn boot, and there was debris in the joint, so I tossed the axle and am waiting for my new one to get here. I also picked up a new caliper due to a torn dust boot and less than desirable abrasion marks on the cylinder walls. Couple more days and I should have it on the ground again. Then I make the decision to finish the interior or move on to the rear wheels.

#60 lvsarge

lvsarge

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 204 posts
  • Las Vegas

Posted 02 March 2015 - 05:43 PM

Haven't updated this thread in weeks... again...

Well, that's because I'm waiting. Perpetually waiting. If waiting to work on your car were an olympic sport.... well, you guys know the rest.

Here's what I'm waiting on currently:

Passenger side front axle

Flex fiber Plastic welding rod

Passenger side caliper

The axle got "lost" and I had another one sent to me. So it's been about 3.5 weeks just for that. I rebuilt the knuckle with new bearings. Once I get the axle and caliper I can finish up and put it all on the ground again.

The welding rod is to finish repairing my dashboard. I will be able to put everything back together with the exception of carpet and seats... trying to find originals or something that I like better than what I have (84 GL's). Anyway, some pictures with captions for fun.

A snap shot as I was repainting my badge.

Mucky and gross. As I disassembled the passenger side front end I noticed that I had a fancy break line leak somewhere along the way. Previous owner maybe, I hadn't noticed anything on that side but there's a lot of bubbled paint and grime around the brake line areas.

Testing the seals. It was hard to tell if they were cracked or not under all that grime. I yanked em anyway since I had new ones.

More yuck

And here's why I'm getting a new axle. The inside was very contaminated. I chucked it before I even took a picture.

As it sits currently.

So I'm also repairing my dash as I previously said. It was really cracked. I took a die grinder with a grinding tip on it and beveled out all of the cracks so I can fill and resurface when I get that rod I'm waiting on. I'll let you all know how THAT goes..

Oh yeah, hey. That steering wheel that I was refinishing? My first attempt, I'd give it an 8/10. Looks great from about 2 feet out, but if you were to closely inspect you'd see some imperfections. Good enough for now. I'll get picky later when I can drive.

And that's where I'm at. More to come (hopefully sooner than later....)

#61 lvsarge

lvsarge

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 204 posts
  • Las Vegas

Posted 10 March 2015 - 10:51 AM

Same as the driver's side... New ball joint, tie rod end, rotor, pads, wheel bearings. But also with a new axle and caliper on this side.

I've got my fiberglass-plastic rods and I'm working on the dash now. I've also welded in the holes for the mirrors on my door. I've ordered new mirrors and we'll see how it all turns out. More to come as I have the time.

#62 Brett!

Brett!

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Kansas City

Posted 10 March 2015 - 12:26 PM

Would it be better to lay new fiberglass over the top of the dash?

#63 lvsarge

lvsarge

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 204 posts
  • Las Vegas

Posted 10 March 2015 - 03:41 PM

I'm not wanting to glass the whole dash. Just filling in the cracks. I would like to retain the padding feel to the dash. I'm following a procedure documented by someone else and will report back on how it goes. Basically it's:

Fill in the cracks

Sand down high spots

Use padded dash filler

Re-texture

Prime

Paint

Seal

I've got about 3 hours into just filling cracks right now. Since some of my cracks go over the factory speaker holes I will need to re-drill parts of it as well, and I am going to touch up and re-finish some of the rotted plastic trim vents on the dash as well.

#64 lvsarge

lvsarge

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 204 posts
  • Las Vegas

Posted 13 April 2015 - 11:16 AM

Hey again guys. So I've been travelling a lot for work as of late, and we just got a new puppy (a red heeler-mix), so my free time has been just about nil. I've collaborated some pictures to share, but I'm still not on the road yet. Soon. I hope. It really depends on if the pup will let me sleep at all. :wacko:

We'll start things off with a new steering column trim I purchased from a member here. You can see my old one was hacked up pretty good. I did sand the old one thinking I was just going to re-use it (and therefore repaint it), but I'm going to go with the newer, longer trim :)

Also, my buddy in town bought a first gen BRAT too, and decided he wanted some fancy seats for it. I was looking for a set of originals, and I got his. Aside from the center insert being tattered, these things are in really good shape. I will not reupholster these immediately, but it is on my list. I just want to get driving first

Speaking of which, if anyone has a use for GL wagon seats (I think these are from an 84?) I've got these sitting around. They're in really good shape and what my BRAT came with. Send me a message we can work something out :)

The previous owner had the radiator supported by one bolt. The radiator that went in the car wasn't OE, obviously, so I drilled it out and made it so I could get both bolts in there.

Some of the keen observers may have seen that I pulled the door mirrors from the vehicle in previous pictures. This is mainly due to the horrible aftermarket, and HUGE mirrors the previous owner put on. They were cheap, the plastic was cracking, and worst of all, they were fricken ugly. Now, I've always loved the almost useless, but extremely sweet looking fender mirrors on old datsuns, so I went with a datsun style mirror and installed them on the BRAT. I think they turned out pretty sweet, but you all can be the judge (or judge me for it :unsure:).

Took down the paint, and welded in some itty bitty pieces of metal. Just have to control the heat and go slow.

All welded up with a fresh coat of primer just to protect it for now. I'll come back to this later, and will eventually be painting the whole vehicle. Someday...

New mirrors!

Just playing around... Not final position. I wanted to see what it looked like.

Size comparison to my old, humongoid, crappy door mirrors.

Ok show time, for real. Measured 4 times to make sure we were even steven on both sides I even ran a chalk line across the top to make sure it all looked square with the front. Let's DO THIS!

Primer the metal on the inside... No rust No no rust.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright, so here's my game plan to get back on the road. I still have the interior out so this is what needs to happen:

1) Finish repairing my dashboard. I can't put anything back together until this is done.

2) Carpet is ordered. I also dry-iced the sound deadener. Once carpet gets in, lay new underlayment and install carpet.

3) Get new coolant hoses made. This is tricky as the hose place is only open til 4pm Mon-Fri. I'll have to find a way to get there during the week.

4) Add fluids. And cross fingers. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users