Ultimate Subaru Message Board

That seems too much

Your kidding right?

If that's too much.......you really aren't gonna want to do the real fix.....which is a new Ig. switch. $$$  Don't buy an Ebay one they are crap don't even fit or work at all.

I bought a "lot" of 6 and they are all junk.

Your kidding right?

If that's too much.......you really aren't gonna want to do the real fix.....which is a new Ig. switch. $$$ Don't buy an Ebay one they are crap don't even fit or work at all.

I bought a "lot" of 6 and they are all junk.

Maybe they were made by GM.

I don't think a push button is necessary either. It's an ugly work around. Fine for temporary, but it doesn't take that much effort to address and fix the real problem.

Just thinking about it I think it might be the relay because I was seeing 13 in but nothing going out assuming the relay labeled is correct

I ended up getting my car started.. I had just enough space to push it back and let it roll forward at like 2 mph.. good thing I have a heavy flywheel on.. but I still need to find the root cause of the issue.. I will say I spent about 30 min trying to get it started.. so I bump started the car and I get home the car starts normal :-/ makes no sense to me.

Edited by 1-3-2-4

The switch is $30 at the dealer and includes a key

I highly doubt the dealer sells the "whole thing with a key" for 30 bucks........Last one I purchased (for a 2003) was $278....

...and Yeah,  ever tried to install the whole lock cylinder?  you have to remove the column, drill out the safety bolts, and then install the new one.

More likely for $30 you will get an Ebay china switch that hte dealer will order for you.......not a Genuine subaru part......and it will be just the switch......which is better anyhow, you don't need a new key.....just the electrical part of it which comes right off the back of the lockcylinder with a couple screws.

Maybe they were made by GM.

I don't think a push button is necessary either. It's an ugly work around. Fine for temporary, but it doesn't take that much effort to address and fix the real problem.

It's only ugly if you do a sloppy job.....mounted correctly there is nothing "unsighlty" about.

I have installed many for customers.....because short of a spendy new switch.....it's the most reliable option.

Push to start is the new rage in all newer cars......audio places are retrofitting now......What the heck is wrong with a button????

I can't see how a push to start switch will look good in a 2nd gen at all.

Your right.

It's more important to have it "look good" in your 20 year old high mileage car than to actually start the car.....everytime, and drive it.

Best advice has been given in this thread.  Do what you like.

The contacts are only 3 months old at that from that ebay seller people kept talking about

If you used the Ebay plunger you may find that's the issue...

The ones I recieved the rod was too short......relied entirely on the sping to kick the gear out......the rod should be almost the full length of the spring.

Ended up it would engage the motor, but just spins....not engaged to the flywheel.

Also.....1-3-2-4.........Sorry if I came off harsh.........I have good days and bad ones.

Trying to help......gets me frustrated sometimes.

Edited by Gloyale

I'm following this thread with interest because I have a similar problem on my Mo-in-Laws '93 Loyale, EA82, auto.  Every once in a blue moon it won't start, but it's so seldom I can't pin it down.   No start when key turned to start, no noise or anything.  Kept car an extra month trying to drive it all over and only happened once.  So I'm thinking I should sneek a remote starter switch into the circuit for the time it won't start.  I've changed the starter twice but didn't help.  Each time it happened to Mo-in-Law, it eventually did start each time, but it scared the 84 year old.

I think the ebay starter kit people praised here I too think I remember the rod on the plunger was too short, I really don't have the time to take the old starter apart to check right now, but the funny part was it got worse and worse until the only way to start it was to push start.. I'd hate to see what would of happened if it was a auto..

Bad news... All that trying to start when I had my issues caused the key to get stuck in the accessory position. . Jiggling it will get it to turn off so I can remove the key but now I guess the ignition switch needs to be changed now