Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Noob here with 2014 Impreza check engine issue

So I'm new here as well as a new Subaru owner. So far, great car - definitely tops my Corolla S I was driving around previously.

Anyhow, I recently picked up a 2014 Impreza(about a month ago). Within the first week or so, about 900 miles, my check engine light came on. I went ahead and took it to the dealership. They told me a solenoid between the timing belt and exhaust could be failing(something that measures a temperature). Not sure what the code is nor can I acquire it without going to a dealership. They went ahead and reset the error and told me a piece of debris(dust) could have gotten into the solenoid and triggered the error. I was told if it comes back to return to the dealership where they will swap the solenoid with the alternate side. Well here I am at ~1500miles with the same check engine light.

Does anyone have any idea what is causing this or why this is happening? Obviously its under warranty so I will take it back in for service - just curious why this is happening and if anyone else has experienced this.

Sorry for the noob based post - again, new Subaru owner and I was told this would be a good place to come for help.

Thanks in advance!

They certainly don't have mine under control!

I've had not one, not two but THREE slow responding cam codes (P000A, B & C) in the last 2500 miles. The Oil Control Valves (OCV) were switched side to side the first time when the P000B code came up, then an OCV was replaced with the P000C code and just yesterday, another OVC was replaced for the P000A code. The dealer told me they've never seen this before and are "guessing" that it's the oil I used at the first oil change at 800 miles.

I ain't buyin it!

Curious about this, but when I got my car back the check engine light was still on, seeing as they haven't replaced the valve yet, waiting for the part to come in. But today when I turned my car on the light went off on its own. Any idea why?

I thought I heard for 2015 they were reducing the oil change interval from 7,500 to 6,000.

I never go that long anyway with my cars. I normally go 3,000, but running my new 2014 Impreza on synthetic oil, I might go 4,000 (it only has 1,600 miles so far).

As for doing the first oil change at an earlier interval, I've heard varying opinions on that, including that there are additives in the crankcase from the factory that may help to run in the engine for at least 1,500- 2,000 miles or more. I've never done the first oil change early on any other new cars I've had, so I likely won't on this one either. 

I'm dismayed that there are two recent threads in this forum about problems with brand new 2014 Impreza's- mine has been great so far, but will some issue rear it's ugly head? I plan on letting my wife drive the car by herself on a 600 mile round trip next weekend because all our other vehicles are older (or lots worse on gas). I would assume since it's new- nothing to worry about yet.

You NEVER follow the normal change interval for the first change. Even though it has supposedly been all broken in already. For a brand new car, Change the oil and filter at about 500-1,000 miles.

If the interval is 7,500 miles, change it again at 7,500 total miles, then go by the normal change interval after that.

The reason is that the engine oil that comes in a brand new car is actually OLD. Unless you special ordered the car, that car was built, sat in a storage lot for 3-4 months, and then probably sat on the dealer lot another 1-3 months (possibly longer) making short test drives or being started and moved 30 feet at a time before you bought it.