Ultimate Subaru Message Board

could you guys tell me anything about this ej22 on cl

l75eya

It can be whatever you want - just put an OBDI or II intake on it and that's what you have. they're entirely interchangeable.

The photo shows no wiring harness on it - so right now it's not OBD anything.  electronics "make it" OBDI or II, not the long block.

It mentions dual port so the heads are 1995 or earlier.

if we assume the heads are original to that block then the assembly is OBDII if it's a 1995 or OBDI if it's 1994 or earlier.

it's missing the coolant cross over pipe, not that it's a big deal and probably in the parts stash anyway.

• Like 1

Thank you. Never looked in to motors before, so I'm in alien territory, I appreciate the input.

I imagine the main thing I can do is see if the motor turns if I check it out right?

Are those motor non interference?

At $50 I guess no matter what condition it's not a bad deal..

EJ22's are widely interchangeable - so yes you can bolt any intake manifold/wiring harness combination you want onto that engine.

Want an OBDI engine - just bolt and OBDI Ej22 intake manifold to it.   Same with OBDII, just bolt it on. .

All 1990 - 1998 EJ22 intake manifolds are interchangeable.

1994 and earlier are OBDI

1995 and later are OBDII.

but they're all interchangeable - just unbolt one intake manifold and install the other. 

EGR would be the only issue but that's emissions and not hard to work around. 

If they are dual port heads like it says, then 1995 or earlier heads, then the eads are from a non-interference engine.

Assuming the block is original to the heads - and is a 1995 - then it's non-interference combination.

It would be rare but if the block was swapped then it may be an interference engine with 1995 heads on it.  i've seen, and done myself, block swaps before so it happens.

Edited by grossgary
  • Like 1

Looks like the short block is painted, would indicate it has been apart before. For 50$ you can't go wrong tho, its almost worth that in scrap aluminum.

For unknown blocks I always check that it turns, doesn't have ridiculous crank walk, and if possible check under the pan for rod knock by rotating the crank back and forth and looking for movement.