Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fuel Pump Fuse Location 1996 Subaru Legacy Wagon

Thanks everyone for ideas and thoughts. Went out this morning and checked power to connecter at fuel pump--was there when turned on and tried to start, then goes off (just as someone said it should, thanks for that). Put in gas and still nothing out fuel filter line, so pulled pump and put in new one, a couple seconds of cranking and gas pouring out line, hooked in filter, tightened things down, and it started instantly. I love how easy it is to change the pump. Thanks everyone for your help. While looking for a fuel pump at the salvage I found a nice one on a 1999 Forester, but had 6 wires at the fuel pump connector instead of 5. Does anyone know what the 6th connector does? If nothing critical, are the other 5 wires the same function as the 5 wires on the 1996 Legacy? And otherwise than the extra wire (and probably some extra feature not on the 1996) could that fuel pump just be installed and would it work fine? Just wondering for future reference. Since no 6th wire (bottom right) in the connector, just blank, then whatever the 6th wire is on the pump would not work. If not needed on the 1996 and other 5 wires are the same, then if the rest of the pump is the same, it seems that it might work. Just wondering! Is there a simple way to tell if timing belt has been changed or that I should change it soon? Bought the car about 10,000 miles ago probably, and has about 236 thousand miles on the car. Definitely feel more comfortable working on the car with all the advice and pointers I received here. Thanks again.

• Like 1

Good show, Db! Congrats.

...I kept thinking about how or why the relay only stays on for a second or two before shutting off--even when the pump is disconnected at the pump plug right above tank. ... Is the pressure "switch" somewhere else rather than in/on the fuel pump?

The 'system' is an evolution of the mechanical inertia switch used by many manufacturers in the '70s & '80s. The resettable switch would open the power circuit to the fuelpump in the event of a crash to prevent the pump from emptying the fuel tanks contents on the ground (or feeding a fire) should a fuel line rupture. Same principle is employed in newer cars with only the method of power interruption being different. Some cars use a relay activated by the ignition system. Others are triggered by the ECU (which may then trigger a relay). In all cases, an engine running or engine start signal is required to power the pump full time. KOEO (Key On Engine Off) will initially power the pump for only a second or two simply to pressure up the fuel rail. There is no pressure switch for the fuelpump.

• Like 2