Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Question about spark plugs

A while ago, I (accidently) bought some single-platinum plugs.

Not really the right choice for the 'waste-spark' system that Subaru uses.

So I 'rotate' the plugs once in awhile.

Plug #1 gets moved to #2 cylinder, and plug #3 goes to cylinder #4.

That way, all plugs eventually get the same total wear.

Does it make the plugs last longer? I really can't tell, because these days, plugs seem to last forever anyway.

Unlike the days of leaded-gas and carburetted engines, when plugs got fouled-up all the time, and seem to wear very quickly.

• Like 1

Ordered, would drive to a dealership but the drive isn't worth it. Going

to be ordering the plugs and wires shortly, I hope I can get a nice day

in the near future. Its been seriously cold in the north east. Is

Teflon tape good enough for the threads around the PCV? Also, how would I

go about changing the hose?

In reply to what I said earlier about my PCV valve. OEM PCV came today, went out in the freezing cold and put the new one on. The old one looked like it had been replaced before, no threader sealer tape or anything on the threads but still looked past its primed and had a thud rattle. Which is a concern since I probably had a vacuum leak this entire time with no thread sealer tape. The car is 10000x different, throttle response, hesitation, idle, even the swift into the next gear is smoother(I longer get a kick back). The subaru just gets up and moves no more slugging up hills I can't even describe it, it feels like I am driving a completely different car.

I have a 98 Legacy L, with 2.2 engine, I saw some blue wires from NGK on the internet with the correct rubber boots.  I was wondering if NGK wires are recommended as much as the NGK plugs.  I have read where people mention using OE wires or Magnacore.   I have the original wires and the plugs have 30K miles so I figured it was time to do both.  I bought this car, which I love,  almost 17 years ago and it only has 91K miles.

I have a 98 Legacy L, with 2.2 engine, I saw some blue wires from NGK on the internet with the correct rubber boots. I was wondering if NGK wires are recommended as much as the NGK plugs. I have read where people mention using OE wires or Magnacore. I have the original wires and the plugs have 30K miles so I figured it was time to do both. I bought this car, which I love, almost 17 years ago and it only has 91K miles.

Yes, NGK wires are recommended for these engines.

• Like 1

A while ago, I (accidently) bought some single-platinum plugs.

Not really the right choice for the 'waste-spark' system that Subaru uses.

So I 'rotate' the plugs once in awhile.

Plug #1 gets moved to #2 cylinder, and plug #3 goes to cylinder #4.

That way, all plugs eventually get the same total wear.

Does it make the plugs last longer? I really can't tell, because these days, plugs seem to last forever anyway.

Unlike the days of leaded-gas and carburetted engines, when plugs got fouled-up all the time, and seem to wear very quickly.

I don't think that will help at all.

just run them for 30-40K miles and then pull one for inspection - replace if worn of course.

• 6 months later...

The last time I got plugs the parts store pushed the plat/iridiums on me, pre-gapped though I eyeballed them just to make sure before putting them in.  My mpg is lower than usual, low 20s, not sure what that would be.  

No matter what plugs you buy, gap them. I put these in my OBS: 4 New NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs BKR6EIX-11 # 3764.

These are the higher end plug and they work great, but not a single one of them was gapped right for the car.  They were all over-gapped.