Ultimate Subaru Message Board

About timing belt changing!

Hi all!

I have an 1993 Subaru Legacy 2,2 16V AWD automatic with Pneumatic suspension. I live in Romania country,East Europe.

The car have 100.000 miles on board an I buy it 4 mounts ago.

I don`t know when was the last change of the timing belt and I think that it is better to change anyway. This car came from USA. There is any possibilites to find out if the timing belt was changed in the USA?

And second question is , if I will change the timing belt it is neccesary to change the whole set of idlers of timing belt and the tensioner?

If yes, who can provide me the part numbers for those pieces?

It is a high risk if I don`t change them?

Thank you!

• 2 months later...

Hi!

Please , can you tell me at what mileage I should change my timing belt? And it is neceasary to change the set of role either. I hope that you understand my english!

Florin

if i am right , there is a rubber cover on the timing belt cover , remove it and stick your finger inside and you should feel the timing belt it self

Welcome to the Board!

Timing belts should be changed at 60,000 mile intervals, if your car had proper service done, you should be good for a few more miles yet.

Now, if you decide to change them anyways, you should atleast change the front crank seal, cam seals, either re-seal the oil pump or replace it with a new one, maybe even replace the water pump while you are in there. Also would change the o-ring on the inlet pipe to the water pump, and replace that 90* short length of hose that goes to the heater line, it is difficult to do with everything on the engine.

As far as the timing belt tensioners and springs. The tensioners should spin freely, and you should not be able to feel any side-to-side movement in them. If they don't feel right, change them.

http://www.all-foreign.com

http://www.alloemautoparts.com

You should be able to find most parts needed at either of those sites.

Florin,

Welcome.Your English is fine.We've got a good little Romanian population here in Bridgeport,CT And I'm also half Romanian.

You may have trouble with older idler pulleys.If they have much resistance when you spin them it's best to change them.Also as mentioned,when doing the T-belts you want to do the front main,cam seals 'n O rings,etc....all depends how much you want to put into it and how long you want it to last.

I'd be happy to get you parts at my discount if you want Subaru parts.I've forgotten what the usual package costs but I can probably find a reciept and check the prices.THere's also some places to order parts from online if you're set up to do that.I'm not sure on customs,but if you want something be sure to email me.

Paul

• 1 year later...

Hello Paul!

Sorry for my latelly reply but I can`t have so much time to spent on the internet.

I`m so happy too hear that you are romanian blood !

Can I speak in romanaian in the future?

Ok!

I want to ask you if you can help me in some problem with my car.

I have an Subaru Legacy 1993, AWD with air suspension. A few days ago both front suspension are loosing the air. I decide to convert air suspension to clasic one (regular struts).

For this I need any helpfull informations but the most I need those parts from junkyard or other places.Here in Romania old Subaru are not too many.If you can you can write me directly to florin_glontaru@yahoo.com.

See you!

Florin,

Welcome.Your English is fine.We've got a good little Romanian population here in Bridgeport,CT And I'm also half Romanian.

You may have trouble with older idler pulleys.If they have much resistance when you spin them it's best to change them.Also as mentioned,when doing the T-belts you want to do the front main,cam seals 'n O rings,etc....all depends how much you want to put into it and how long you want it to last.

I'd be happy to get you parts at my discount if you want Subaru parts.I've forgotten what the usual package costs but I can probably find a reciept and check the prices.THere's also some places to order parts from online if you're set up to do that.I'm not sure on customs,but if you want something be sure to email me.

Paul

Florin,

Bine ati venit la acest website!

Defapt, Paul vorbeste nu mai extrem de putin limba Romana. Si eu vorbesc putin (dar mai mult decit Paul), si am un dictionar de Romaneste aici in apartamentul meu.

Am lucrat in ambasada de SUA in Bucharest pina la anul 1987 de la 1989. Din ne fericire, am uitat prea mult, dar cu dictionar se poate eu pot sa adjut(?) dumneavoastra.

In acest website, sint foarte multi persoanele putem sa adjutam daca aveti problemele cu masina. Si e un alta cetateni de Romania care foloseste acest website. Am uitat numele lui.

Daca nu stiti cint timing belt a fost schimbat, e un idea bun ca sa schimbati curea. Si alti activitatea: tune-up, ulei (si filtru), curea de fan si alternator, fluid de radiator, et cetera

Tom

Hello Paul!

Sorry for my latelly reply but I can`t have so much time to spent on the internet.

I`m so happy too hear that you are romanian blood !

Can I speak in romanaian in the future?

Ok!

I want to ask you if you can help me in some problem with my car.

I have an Subaru Legacy 1993, AWD with air suspension. A few days ago both front suspension are loosing the air. I decide to convert air suspension to clasic one (regular struts).

For this I need any helpfull informations but the most I need those parts from junkyard or other places.Here in Romania old Subaru are not too many.If you can you can write me directly to florin_glontaru@yahoo.com.

See you!