Ultimate Subaru Message Board

To buy or not to buy a new 2015 Forester, that is the question...

All - opinions solicited...

Blew the engine at 234K on my 2008 Forester - eventually will re-power her up, but at that mileage I'd prefer to go new.

What are the must haves on a 2015?

And I want the base model - or close to it - so what has anyone paid new for one. I'm trying to see what wiggle room there is in the market.

I live in Vermont.

I think its time to buy post-Turkey Day. Deals in December they say.

I like the X-drive function of the new Subies, Fozzie and a few others.

I guess it comes down to your needs,

Do you really need to drive up a mountain? Do you need that boost?

Getting serious now, are you asking if they are a hot commodity, how far down you can negotiate?

If it is answers on the newest Foz you seek, look no further than reddit.com/r/Subaru

Make an account and make an inquiry, as I do see a lot of newer Soobs getting posted.

Good luck!

Edited by SnatchedHatch

vermontsailor,

I agree with Imdew! Buy the best 1 or 2 year old Forester you can find, and let the previous owner pay the depreciation.

When I purchased my present 2012 OBW LTD (H2), it was just over a year old with 17 000 miles on it, and I saved $10 100 on what I would have had to pay to buy it new. Yes, the outside was perfect, but there were some scratches on the inside, but the car had been treated well otherwise. Yes, I can afford to own a brand new car, but why would I when I can buy them this way and get more car than I really would have purchased in the first place? Not to mention, when the body styles stay the same for 3 or more years, no one can tell what year it is anyway, unless I tell them or they look at the door info decal.

Welcome aboard, Vermontsailor.  Don't know how much response you'll get here--most of us are stuck to our 10- or 20-year-old Subies!

But maybe someone who knows the new ones will chime in.

Like my 12 year old Forester and my son's 19 year old Legacy! My Forester is a whole different vehicle than the 2015, but I really enjoy driving it. I know someone that is very pleased with their 2014 Forester. You'll certainly get better fuel economy than I. Not that mine is that bad - the new Foresters are exceptional for their size and being AWD. Glad to see the manual transmission is still available in the Forester, unlike the new Outback. Given the fuel economy advantage of the CVT, I would consider that even though I've prefered the manual.

I bought a nice used Subaru with a 2.2 from South End auto in Lyndonville, VT for around $2K, it was a trade in at the local dealership I think.  The car always ran well and was low maintenance.  South End had great deals on use Subies for under $2500 with guarantees and cheap maintenance; CV joints they would put in for $75 including the part!   Check around for the best deals.  New cars like sporting equipment loses much of its value once the guarantee period is over.  

What is it in a new car that grabs you, the new car smell?  The status benefit?  The latest technology?  The slick sales routine?  To me the purpose of cars is reliable transportation and that's it.