Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loud bang on left turn up a drive ramp

So yesterday I spent the day doing a ball joint on Uno's passenger side. Turns out it didn't need replacing. Now I got a Chinese crap ball joint where a perfectly good Subaru part had been. On the plus side, I learned to do ball joints and decided that the Harbor Freight ball joint separator (item # 99849) is the only way to go.

On the minus side though, I still get the bang when turning left to go up a driveway ramp. However it is intermediately fixed when one has an observer, kind of like the observer effect in physics.  I thought it was a ball joint causing this but obviously after having replaced the ball joint I still get the bang.

It doesn't bang when the tire makes contact at the transition point but rather more like when the rear is swinging around. I thought maybe it was the rear scraping, but there are no marks on the car or the concrete. I have been driving up the same spot for years with no scraping and the rear shocks are newly installed from last year.

I am beginning to suspect something with the strut spring  winding and releasing tension. These are the original struts from 1992 (1993 MY built in 1992).

Thoughts?

Edited by MR_Loyale

I put a small chisel in the clamping space on the spindle and hit it in a couple times then the ball joint comes out easily without any special tools. If the control arm is rusted to the ball joint hit it apart with a pickle fork. I just replaced one that could be made in to a rattle  since its so worn out. Also did tie rod ends since one popped out of the joint.

I put a small chisel in the clamping space on the spindle and hit it in a couple times then the ball joint comes out easily without any special tools. If the control arm is rusted to the ball joint hit it apart with a pickle fork. I just replaced one that could be made in to a rattle  since its so worn out. Also did tie rod ends since one popped out of the joint.

Are you going to make it to WCSS this year?

mine used to make that loud pop sound you described, after replacing many parts on the vehicle and it still wouldn't go away i just learned to live with it, it was only in certain circumstances it would pop so i was okay with it. turned out it was the driver CV axle, it would pop once or twice when the vehicle would flex on a road that would turn side to side, or when i took a 90 degree turn to an uphill road or a friends driveway, those were the only times it would pop. i accidentally fixed it when i noticed a CV boot was torn, replaced the whole axle (lifetime warranty, thats why i replaced it whole) and the pop sound went away.

Edited by Subasaurus

I thought that too, but this is definitely coming from the rear passenger wheel area. Had a neighbor listen too. If I go real slow it doesn't do that. Now of course some smart alec will tell me just to go real slow. Maybe the rear springs are worn.

Are you going to make it to WCSS this year?

I'm going to the bnw meet at PIR this year hopefully in my lifted hatch once i replace my block. Since i pretty sure it's cracked because the guy i bought the donor from rallied the legacy and probably got it way to hot. I've tried everything else. Water pump works, took thermostat out, burped coolant for 20 minutes, rebuilt heads, and new head gaskets.... If not i'll take another 86 hatch or a 89 gl10 turbo awd touring wagon i picked up today.

Sounds like it could be a rear shock problem.

Those were replaced last year. I have another identical Loyale Sedan (1992) that does have worn out rear shocks and I cannot get it to make the bang sound no matter how hard I drive it up the ramp.