Ultimate Subaru Message Board

03 forester 2.5 coughing and sputtering

I have a 03 forester XS 140,000  has been very hot here. was running good down freeway at 70 then i hit passing gear and car started to lose power. Got off freeway and it went down hill from there to a complete stop. I did nurse it home ran like crap 0-10 mph spuutering all the way. I put a new fuel filter on car and took on freeway. going 70 mph i hit the gas and again losing power and surging. I am going to check fuel pressure.. Any ideas from anyone would be great..I guess i will have to ride my Harley to work.

weird - make sure the breather hoses are routed correctly, make sure you haven't lost the seal/o-ring on the plastic oil filler screw-plug.

I once read of an STI that had PCV/breather hoses misrouted after a swap/some work and it affected the oil pressure reading.

you may need to arrange to monitor fuel pressure and maybe some other parameters while driving. There are also ways to log with a laptop and rom raider.

Sounds like a similar problem I'm having with an '01 Outback.

All due maintenance has been done by the dealership recently, fuel pump, regulator, filter, plugs, tranny service, etc., timing belt, fluids, all the obvious stuff.

I've had the car in there twice this year. The last time, they kept it for over a week... and they still can only tell me they don't know what's wrong.

I wonder if they missed something?

Here's the weird thing... all these problems disappear when the gas tank is full. At about 3/4 tank, they start up again.

I've tested this out a couple times now. If I keep the tank topped off, I'm good... but that means I can only travel within a certain radius of my location.

Any ideas?

Update: replaced worn out plugs , air filter , same results..Did a fuel pressure test and what do you know it was just a trickel coming out of fuel line after bypass fuel filter and crank key. I think we found the problem as she needed a tune up anyway.Thanks everyone for your help..Also found out there was a filter behind the glove box as i was wondering why the air and heat did not blow  like my outback..Blew out filter and increased volume out of vents by 1/3.

JK North Idaho USA

Update: replaced worn out plugs , air filter , same results..Did a fuel pressure test and what do you know it was just a trickel coming out of fuel line after bypass fuel filter and crank key. I think we found the problem as she needed a tune up anyway.Thanks everyone for your help..Also found out there was a filter behind the glove box as i was wondering why the air and heat did not blow  like my outback..Blew out filter and increased volume out of vents by 1/3.

JK North Idaho USA

wow, do you have a warranty for that fuel pump? I think you listed it was changed already.