Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Spark plugs, tools, and general lack of knowledge

So this question is most definitely in the wrong area but I honestly don't know where to out it due to lack of knowledge.

My name is Elysia, and this post is for my husband's 09 impreza wrx sedan.

He doesn't exactly take care of it. It has become a battle between us as to him selling it for a newer model or getting it fixed.

He's had it since 09 and never changed the spark plugs. I know bare minimum about cars, but everyone I have talked to has said that he should have changed them at least once. So for fathers day this year I bought him new spark plugs. Needless to say, they still haven't been changed. He says he needs the tools to change them.

So I am wondering, do I need to buy him a special set of tools? I want to get a set and not just specific to spark plugs. So what do I need, and where can I find it?

I know Subaru engines are different, but I wasn't sure if it meant different mechanics tools as well.

Any help in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

And sorry for posting in the wrong area. I dotn even know where the spark plugs are, or if they are engine mechanical or just general engine or what.

Those spark plugs last up to about 60,000 miles. Some say to change them every 30-40,000 miles.

Also, since the steel plugs tighten into the aluminum cylinder head, I highly suggest some high temperature anti-seize compound for the spark plug threads of the new plugs before they are installed

In any case, here are the basic tools he will require:

I would suggest getting them from Sears, Advance Auto Parts, Autozone, the Home Depot, Walmart, or even online. 

A pencil type of magnet, does not need to be telescoping but that is also fine

A 3/8 drive 16mm spark plug socket, 

A 3/8 drive universal joint

A set of 3 or more 3/8 drive extensions of varying lengths one of which should be a stubby

A 3/8 drive ratchet

That is what he will need to change the plugs However, he may also need one or 2 different sized wrenches and or sockets and maybe a screwdriver to remove one or two

things in the engine compartment blocking removal of the old plugs, and installation of the new ones. Say, maybe the plastic washer fluid container, or the battery. Maybe even a hose or two with a pliers.

The magnet is used to retrieve the old spark plugs from inside the spark plug tubes, after they are completely loose. There are magnetic spark plug sockets,which will hold the plugs

in place somewhat but those are not 100% fool proof. Using a pencil magnet is much easier, and a magnetic spark plug socket is better for installing plugs than for removing them.

But tape, either duct tape, masking tape, or electrical tape, even scotch tape can be used with a non magnetic spark plug socket to install the new spark plugs, holding them in place to the spark plug socket.

Also, a nice touch is to get "wobble type" 3/8 extensions, or a set of them instead, or in addition to the 3/8 extension set for the socket (plug) and ratchet (rathchet (what is) A-bigger than a mouse S___ just a joke from my old buddy decades ago)

I agree with the 1st responder. Since he has no basic tools, this suggests to me he has no experience working with wrenches/sockets/basic automotive tools. You could be amazed at how much damage a tool in an inexperience hand can cause. Car is probably near or at a timing belt change and brakes. When that belt breaks, probably a $2K repair. I also believe any tools you buy for him will never be used and cheap tools are a PITA to own. 

I realize the general consensus of caution.  Regarding a mechanically inexperienced car owner, and relent on my encouragement of the spark plug change out job.

Yes, it is true inexperience has little place for these things, at least without professional oversight physically present to prevent mistakes or misjudgment or improper procedure.

An old hat is better than a bare head, old Russian proverb kind of thing. A hot cup of chai, and old spark plugs that still run are better than stripped out cylinder head spark plug threads, or loose plugs

losing compression and misfiring.

I changed the plugs on my 2012 Outback (H6) and have a few observations.

First is the price ($250 to $320) for hiring a professional mechanic may be a wise investment even if you are familiar this task.

It is a very arduous task, it took me about 7 hours to complete.  If your hands are large you may especially want someone else to do this, it is possible your hands won't even fit.  There is barely 1" space between the spark plug hole and the frame rails and the plugs have 1" of thread.

If you wish to bond with your Subaru, here are some pointers I learned along the way:

1.  Buy quality Iridium tips plugs, they last longer.  The OEM plugs at 60,000 miles still looked in good condition though the gaps had increased to .060+.

2. You will need an assortment of sockets, extenders, universal and or flexible, 1/4", 3/8" and possibly 1/2".  You will also need a torque wrench.  The factory Subaru manual shows the use of a flexible spring type socket extender, this is only useful after the plug has been initially loosened.

3. Wait until your engine is cold before you start, these 1" long plugs have 3/8" of thread which extend into the combustion chamber and that section is burned rough.  It is risky to unscrew such a plug through a hot aluminum cylinder head.  Shucks you'll burn your hands anyway if you don't wait for a cold condition.  NOTE: the 4 cylinder Subaru uses plugs with 5/8" of thread which don't extend into the combustion chamber therefore I assume they are easier to manage.

4. Each plug has its own ignition coil which is held in place with a single bolt.

5. A 1/2" socket an breaker bar may be needed to loosen the plugs, after that a flex extender or universal sock may be used.  Several combinations of sockets and extenders will be needed and each cylinder if probably require its own combination.

6. Reinstalling is not just reverse order, first check the plug gaps (.039-.043") to make sure they are all the same, next apply thread lubricant (e.g. Never Seez or similar compounds.) to protect the aluminum threads for the next plug change.

7. Spray something like silicone lubricant onto the rubber in the Spark plug socket, this is simply to make it easier to remove the socket once the plug is in place.

8. Torque Spec: 15.5 Ft-lb dry 10.9 Ft-lb greased.

9. After total reassembly wash up and apply band-aids as required to your wounded hands.

10. PDF files attached for your convenience.

2012 Subaru H6 Spark Plugs.pdf