Ultimate Subaru Message Board

85 BRAT horrible gas mileage

So, while I was driving my brat, I noticed the gas gauge seemed oddly low for having just filled up, and barely drive 35 miles. I filled up again and it took almost 2 gallons. There is also sometimes, but not always, a slight smell of gas, and I've looked underneath, but I don't see any drips or leaks of fuel.

I know I need new tires, but I wouldn't think that would mean I get under 20 mpg. Maybe I'm paranoid? What is your average MPG for an EA81/ BRAT?

A 2-gal fill up is too small to figure mpg accurately. My Brat, owned for 20 years this year averages around 29 mpg. But, I do live in the sticks so hardly any stop and go traffic. Load, wind, gas, foot and traffic can make a big difference.

that's not a diagnosis.  if those are 35 stop and go miles to work and two off roading excursions with your buddies and kicking back the beers with Bon Jovi playing while the car idles at your favorite overlook - you're getting good gas mileage. 

but if you're smelling gas - have you looked under the hood for leaks? 

check with engine running.  

sniff from left and right side - which is worse?

look at any connections that have been recently worked on - carb, engine pulled...you can even bend them where they connect a little and look for spray - this can amplify small leaks. 

if there's no obvious leaks then the obvious starting point with any gas engine like this is:
1.  is it carbureted?

start there - that's usually the problem. 

• Like 1