Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Exedy clutch kit issue 2000 OB ej25

Likely someone has already added a "repair" sleeve with oversized TO bearing in the past.  There is no sleeve from the factory, the TO rides right on the aluminum quill.

You could take it off and see if the OE trans quill could be cleaned up and it should work.  Emery cloth and siliglyde are your friends

If not, might need to get another "repair" kit with sleeve and oversized TO.

So i believe that there is a repair sleeve on this transmission... So now i have a new TOB (throw out bearing) that i cant use. And i have no idea out to pull off this sleeve. It is not like the repair sleeves ive looked up with the little screws on the sides. Its just pressed on or something. I found one repair kit with oversized TOB. But it was $160. The clutch kit was $230. Any idea if i sand down the inside of the TOB that i have to make it fit? Bad idea, or good idea? The sleeve thats on there now isnt in bad shape

I have turned down the ID of a throwout on my lathe to fit a PMD (set screw style) sleeve since it's obvious that's what they are doing in the TSK-3 kit for 06-14 turbo push clutch applications....

So you wouldn't be the first. I wouldn't "sand" it though. I used a boring bar after careful and considered setup on my lathe. You need to make sure it's not tapered and you need to deepen the grease retention groove, etc. Concentricity didn't seem to be an issue as all the throw outs I inspected weren't even close to concentric. I just chucked it by the plastic center ring and eyeballed it - dial indicating didn't seem warranted given the poor manufacturing tolerances I observed. Worked fine though.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Last I checked the AutoZone clutch kits had the option of coming with that style (speedi-sleeve) quill sleeve. You might check on a availability of the throw out.

Getting that style sleeve off WILL involve cutting it with a die grinder. It's going to be pretty tough stainless steel. You will not be prying that off and if it was installed properly (with 609 loctite) it's going to be Royal Rumble lying that sucker to the mat.

If your plan is to remove it, then be prepared with a PMD quill kit as you may find severe damage beneath it or you may damage the quill removing it.

GD

When I did a quick Auto Zone check, I couldn't find an oversize bearing. I think it only comes with a complete kit. There's a great chance there's nothing wrong with the snout under that sleeve. I've only installed a couple of those, but I remember them not going on tight, just snug. But, like GD said, if they did use loctite on it... I wouldn't try heat because the aluminum will expand more than the stainless, and you're in danger of cooking the front seal. I would first try to get as big a bite as you can at the back with two "hook-end" prybars, and see if you can budge it. If not, I think I would slit it at the front, grab one side with some needle nose and start rolling, to tear and peel it off. If it's too tough for that, carefully slit it with a dremel. Try not to go all the way through.  ;)

AutoZone clutches are provided to them by BrutePower for the most part. Some also from Sachs and LUK. My commercial contact is trying to sort this out for "my customer". So far the tech line to BrutePower is disconnected or otherwise out of service, which apparently AutoZone corporate didn't know. While they attempt to overcome that obstacle he was able to get in touch with LUK, who has the correct (1.385" ID) release bearing but will not sell it separately from their kit. Can't locate a number for Sachs at the moment.

You need a release bearing with a 1.385" ID. Normal release bearing is 1.300" ID.

He is supposed to resume this Rabbit Hole in the morning. I'll get an answer it just takes lighting the right fire.

GD

@GeneralDisorder. You are very helpful. Ive read alot of older posts from other things of yours. Keep up the good work.

So if i were to cut the id to 1.385" then ill be good to go? What would be the best, easiest, cheapest way for an at home kinda guy to do that?

Or.... What about other options like a Toyota or Nissan TOB? I just really need this car back together already lol

Probably the only way I can think of would be to use a flap wheel in a die grinder:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00413QCX6/ref=mp_s_a_1_52?ie=UTF8&qid=1496377532&sr=1-52&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65

Then you will need a smaller one (like 1/4" thickness) to cut in the grease groove.

You will have to go slowly and evenly and check your fit often.

GD

Depends on what source you look at. Some say 1.378 also. Other folks say it will work and also it is the one used by PMD for their TSK-1 quill kit.

Buy one for $32. Return it if it doesn't work. But it should. Slightly different clip system but that's ok.

GD

• Like 1