Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 98 gt sometimes will not start. No cranking or nothing. I can here a relay under the dash clicking when I turn the key but that's it. Usually after 5 or 10 minutes of waiting it starts right up. This will happen first thing in the morning or after driving, doesn't matter. I have replaced the starter and the ignition.

My 98 gt sometimes will not start. No cranking or nothing. I can here a relay under the dash clicking when I turn the key but that's it. Usually after 5 or 10 minutes of waiting it starts right up. This will happen first thing in the morning or after driving, doesn't matter. I have replaced the starter and the ignition.

Did you replace the key cylinder or the actual ignition switch?  The circuit gets old and can't carry enough amps to operate the starter solenoid.

Common fix is to add a relay to the circuit.  Or even more directly reliable is a pushbutton for starter operation.

If you just run a new, #10 wire directly from the ignition switch to the starter, your problem will be solved without resorting to any pushbuttons.

Keep in mind, that by doing so, you will be bypassing your neutral safety switch!! Which is likely the source of the resistance anyway, but you will need to do a lot more research and diagnosis to get to the real problem. If you do a search here for starter circuit relay, you will find some walk-throughs on how to do that. More involved, but you will retain function of the neutral switch.

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally played with this car a little. I have 12 volts to the starter when key is in start position. The car usually st arts fine, but sometimes I have to hold the key in the start position for 4-5 seconds before it starts.

Wouldn't that be a starter solenoid issue?

Thanks

So I finally played with this car a little. I have 12 volts to the starter when key is in start position. The car usually st arts fine, but sometimes I have to hold the key in the start position for 4-5 seconds before it starts.

Wouldn't that be a starter solenoid issue?

Thanks

Pull the start wire off the starter spade terminal and run a jumper wire from the battery +, you can even do it right from the battery's connector at the starter. Momentarily touch it to the spade terminal on the starter. Make sure it's out of gear! If it cranks then, and you can do it a few times without detecting any hesitation, you can rule out the starter. Then your problem will be high resistance between the ignition switch and the starter. Most likely the selector switch if it's an automatic. The circuit runs through several connectors which can also add to the resistance. 

• 1 month later...

When I run a new wire from the switch to the starter, should I half tap both ends which would keep the existing wire connected as well. Or will having a loop like that be a problem and I should just cut it at both ends and only use the new wire.