Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello all,

I just bought a 2016 Subaru Forester with 10,400 miles from an insurance salvage auction. Looks like the vehicle was in a rollover, and there is cosmetic body damage all over, but nothing terrible. (The price was right.)

Of greater concern is that when I start the car, the exhaust is smoky. Whitish smoke with an unpleasant smell. Continues even after the engine warms up. I checked the oil, which looks nice and clean.

I am getting this code: P062F Internal Control Module Eeprom Malfunction.

Any thoughts on what's going on? Could the code be related to the smoking? Any ideas on how to fully diagnose the engine fault?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Jeff in Boston

Edited by freekraz

does the exhaust smell sweet-ish? maple syrup or toasted marshmallows? could be coolant - don't trust the overflow bottle's level, check the radiator.

that code is unfamiliar to me  but doesn't seem trivial - hope I'm wrong,  more experienced folks will respond I'm sure.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

If rolled then oil could enter any open pathways on the top of the engine - like PCV valves on older engines. I assume this has to have breather hoses off the valve covers - pull those hoses and look for oil in them.

This should just burn off over time.

Is it definitely coming out of exhaust or couldnjt be burning off the exhaust?

Did vehicle end up on its top or side and keep running? A Used oil analysis may tell something if that's a concern.

• Like 1

UPDATE: Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Here are some further observations:

1) Coolant is full.

2) Exhaust does not smell sweet.

3) I have had the car idling in the driveway for about half an hour. Exhaust seems to be running much cleaner.

Questions:

Where does the ECM live?

Other thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any other responses.

Jeff