Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need help with rebuilding Engine

Some of you guys already seen my thread about me wanting to buy a hydraulic lifter engine. Well I did get one from board memeber(thanks Austin) and I would like to get it rebuild. I know I will be saving big bucks if I do it myself, but I never have done it before and I thought it will be better for the engine if I get it professionally done. My friend told me that if I provide the engine rebuilders with mods that I would like to put on the engine, they will do it during the process of putting back the engine together. Here comes my questions. I would like to know what kinds of mods I can put it on the engine to make it better, better I mean, stronger, not necessarly faster because I'm not looking for speed, rather I'm looking for more torque I guess, for offroading. I have 82 Brat, and seeking to make the little beast into bigger beast(BYB lift kit comes after rebuilding...hehehe) Just like Shadow said...we should share all the knowledges we know...after all sharing is caring

Thanks

Dan

Hmmm, I guess I'd start out with sending the cam to Delta for a regrind. After that, you might try running either EA71 or EA82 SPFI pistons to bump up your compression a bit. I've got the cam/piston combo in my ea82 and it seems to work quite nicely. You might shave the heads, but with that on top of higher-comp pistons, you might not get away with running pump gas.

Most people will have their engines balanced a blueprinted when doing this sort of thing, but that isn't really necessary with a subaru engine since they are built pretty precisely to begin with.

I shaved the heads on my Brat, and I notice slight pinging with the timing at 10 DBTC, but no problems at the stock 8. That is running regular of course. I'm currently at 9.1:1 compression instead of the stock 8.7, and with EA71 pistons I think the compression will be around 9.5:1. Might have to run meduim or premium but it should handle it without much trouble. Qman is running with .020 shaved heads and EA71 pistons in both of his Brats - one has a Delta cam ground for HP and the other is ground for torque. After talking to him, he seems to favor the torque grind over the HP one.....

You also have to remember that the EA82's are running 9.5:1 already, and the high-output EA81's that were availible on the JDM were also running 9.5:1. There is a lot of room for increasing the compression since it's only 8.7:1 stock.....

GD

you could just go with an ea82 motor, my opinion. but it looks like you already have an ea81 to go with.

save on the labor costs and take a crack at taking the block apart yourself. some of the bolts will hide in the passages in the deck. have a subaru experienced mechanic put it together for you.

you could just go with an ea82 motor, my opinion. but it looks like you already have an ea81 to go with.

save on the labor costs and take a crack at taking the block apart yourself. some of the bolts will hide in the passages in the deck. have a subaru experienced mechanic put it together for you.

an ea82 intake/carb will bolt on the same. but you will have to mount your disty 180 off, firing order 180 from the cap, and flip the mounting tab upside down backwards, to clear the water neck. also, the egr will have to be removed and blocked off so it doesnt interfere with the bellhousing