Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rally lights. What works... cheap.

Thinking about adding some lights to the front bumper of my 87 Brat. Are these legal? (I'm in CA) Where is the best place to find lights? Any good online sources? How have you wired them up? I've got an A style push bar, so I'm thinking of mountine them on the bumper in the center of the push bar.

Keith

Here is a really good site in regards to what is legal in California.

http://www.sidekickoffroad.com/offroadlites.htm

I have found some good deals through Harbor Freight.

I took a pair of these http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=3029 and put them above my cab where the headrest mounts go.

After reading the Ca rules about aux lights being between 12-42 inches, I may

need to re-mount them.

The Harborfreight kit should come w/a a set of wires to use.

BW

rally lights are a lot brighter than fog lights and are not legal to use on the street. you are required to have covers by law when on public roads. I have a pair of Hella light but they aren't very cheep. You usally get what you pay for.I don't think cheep lights will be bright enough or durable enought for rallying. Also I would not mount them below the bumper if you want them to be there very long.

When you wire them up you want to use a relay switch so you don't fry stuff.

that's my two cents

Can you describe the relay switch. I guess you aren't just talking about an on/off toggle switch. What sort of damage can be done with just a toggle switch to battery voltage with an appropriately sized fuse? Thanks. Keith