Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Pics of my gen1 brats(more pics & tech )

Hey I applaud his use of a non-Soob powerplant. Did you just happen to have the Chevy or is that simply the best option for your purposes? Any idea how much the whole thing weighs and how much torque and hp? Are bigger diffs, lockers and axles in the works? Very cool how you moved the front end forward. Excellent work and thanks for sharing the pics etc. Good luck at races!

Hi Mike,I used the v6 because I had a good runner and the adapter was already built.Plus the size of the engine fits well between frame rails.I had run unhatched with a v6 when I originally built it so I knew it had plenty of power.The chevy 60 degree v6 is buildable to 280 horse with stock parts.I had set a chevy v8 and auto in but decided the axles were to weak.Rather than change the whole setup I compromised for a smaller engine and more gears.It work out well because I can run the 4 & 6 cylinder classes and be real competative.I haven't weighed it yet I would guess around 2800 lbs ,and hp/torque are unknown.

I was very divided on the use of a non subie power plant in my own rig. On the one hand it is a cool engineering task and I was looking at the cummins turbo diesel w/ allison tranny. The sounds alone would have been worth the trouble. But on the other hand, one of the top questions I get is "Is that a V8 in there" or similar and I can always say Subaru all the way. There is a great pleasure in being able to say it is all subaru but one gear box. Then there is the nay-sayers who don't want to believe that this BRAT just ran a hill that their Jeep or chevy couldn't take. So they look for any excuse to attribute it to something non-Subaru; "The only reason it can do that is because he took out all the Subaru stuff" etc. etc. That said, I was really wanting someone else to do the non-subie swap so I could see it! I would still like to get another BRAT and build it in a dually config with a Cummins and Allison combo.