Ultimate Subaru Message Board

But why? Something to do? I get it but you could prep a used 2.5 block with your time and eventually gain ~30 HP. That intake won't do anything for performance. Really on a 2.2 there isn't much that will. 

GD

Yeah....uh.....that will work, but having no flex might not be good for hte MAF/airbox as it will be straing on it when engine torques.

I hope you don't have a cone filter on the end of that either.  those things are the worst.  Hot dirty air though a glorified scotch brite pad.

• Like 1

I don't see anything wrong with that when it comes to function. For as crude as the design is, and what it is made out of, you have removed the resistance caused by that silly resonator baffle/flex point. Less resistance = easier flow, hands down. Besides, it's the snorkus you have to be wary about removing. Aftermarket intakes are basically the same thing, but made of metal (so they hold heat longer) and more expensive. You will have to keep an eye out for shifting/cracking, but really, if you left the filter box in place, it has rubber points that allow a modicum of movement in regards to vibration/torque anyway. 50/50 chance in that it works great, but may not last too long unless you get much stiffer engine mounts. 

I like the idea of a less restrictive intake tube. I'm not sure what year car this is, oer what your original intake system is like, but I like using the '95- '96 EJ22 intake pipe on my later '97 & '98 Legacy's because it is less restrictive. This along with the MSD coil mod gave my '98 wagon 2- 3 more MPG. Actually going to do the same 2 mods to my '97 GT with EJ22 this weekend.

• 4 weeks later...