Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 Coil Pack Interchangeability

I need a coil pack and I have a 98 Impreza with an EJ22,  does anyone happen to know what years of the EJ22 and the EJ25 would work for me.  90-96 ej22e coils 93-96 ej18 and 96/97 ej25d coils are all different than mine, but I dont know about the other years. I am hoping that the EJ25 from 98 to ?  will work as this would be the most common at the pick pull I am going to, here in Kelowna.  Thanks a bunch in advance!

Never compared a '96 coil to '97+. I know the connectors are different, and I know that the EJ25D coils are larger bolt pattern than  -'96 EJ22E but they are electrically the same. You can match the colors to the connector and swap them..

'99+ phase 2 coils can work but not out of the box so to speak. Their ignitor is built in and takes a bit to make them work. I know enough to know it works, but know nothing about the conversion

I would personally just buy new.

Hi,

Just take a pic of yours - w/the wires connected and disconnected - for when you hit the Yard....'98 was kind of a transition year. I know my '98 Forester had the earlier style, while a '98 OB I bought/fixed HG/sold had the newer style (if memory serves).

Also, you can get a newer coil pack from a Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth (ok MOPAR) car from the mid-2000's. I 'think' it works w/your wires, but search on the 'dodge neon subaru coil pack' and you'll get slightly more spark. You'll have to rewire the connector, but that's covered online, too.

GL,

Td