Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1993 Legacy AT transmission compatibility

Any transmission up to 1999 should be  direct bolt-in but you have to know what differential ratio you have.  Subaru used a 3.90 ratio in the early Legacys and then moved up to 4.11 and 4.44.  Have a strong feeling you have the 3.90 ratio. 

Edit:  If your car was manufactured after Oct. 1993 it will have the 4.11 ratio.  There is a sticker on the door jam that shows when manufactured. What if before Oct. 1993?  I don't know. 

Edited by john in KY

Any transmission up to 1999 should be  direct bolt-in but you have to know what differential ratio you have.  Subaru used a 3.90 ratio in the early Legacys and then moved up to 4.11 and 4.44.  Have a strong feeling you have the 3.90 ratio. 

Edit:  If your car was manufactured after Oct. 1993 it will have the 4.11 ratio.  There is a sticker on the door jam that shows when manufactured. What if before Oct. 1993?  I don't know. 

It appears as if mine was manufactured in July '92

Edit: Sticker on the trans up by the starter says TZ102ZA2AA and on a different thread someone had a 92 legacy AT with the same number that was told by a dealer it was 4.11.

So theoretically anything from 92 and up should be good?

Edited by kpowers89

....I've posted this on here a  lot, and so have others....take another look....

But everything I've read/seen/had:

'92-'94 Turbo and NA 4EAT Auto trans were all 3.90; '90, '91, '95-'98 (maybe '99) EJ22  were 4.11. FD Ratio.

Some older Subies had the ratio stamped onto the rear diff....check yours....and see attached for example.

Which is the bad news, in that you have a small range to 'pull' from.

But YOU CAN use any trans from '90-'98 AND THE MATCHING REAR DIFF. You'll need the FLEX PLATE that matches the Torque converteror Trans or possibly reuse your Torque Converter (if it's not the actual issue). I'm not 100% sure on the compatibility between the TC's. I think there may have been 3 sizes based on engine? EJ22, EJ22T, EJ25D

GL,

TD

post-3804-0-36551900-1510876345_thumb.jpg

Edited by wtdash

• 2 months later...

....I've posted this on here a  lot, and so have others....take another look....

But everything I've read/seen/had:

'92-'94 Turbo and NA 4EAT Auto trans were all 3.90; '90, '91, '95-'98 (maybe '99) EJ22  were 4.11. FD Ratio.

Some older Subies had the ratio stamped onto the rear diff....check yours....and see attached for example.

Which is the bad news, in that you have a small range to 'pull' from.

But YOU CAN use any trans from '90-'98 AND THE MATCHING REAR DIFF. You'll need the FLEX PLATE that matches the Torque converteror Trans or possibly reuse your Torque Converter (if it's not the actual issue). I'm not 100% sure on the compatibility between the TC's. I think there may have been 3 sizes based on engine? EJ22, EJ22T, EJ25D

GL,

TD

Thanks for the info on this.  I have a 95 auto going into my 92 project car.  You mentioned "flex plate". Would this come off of the 95 transmission I'm getting.  It's that another name for a flywheel?  Is there a difference between the 95 flywheel and the 92 flywheel?  And if my current TC in the 92 is OK, I guess if I understand I can just reuse it on the 95 and not need the flexplate/flywheel?

1> '95 is 4.11 FD ratio, so you'll need the matching rear diff, as the '92 is 3.90.

2> Flexplate = Automatic; Flywheel = Manual

3> I'd get the flexplate from the '95 - just in case....but, Yes, since the '92 TC would match the '92 Flexplate - should be good.

3.5> Ensure you're VERY informed about re-installing the TC...it MUST be seated correctly....that is covered on here.

4> The bolt-pattern on the rear diff's pinion flange (part that connects to the driveline/driveshaft) changed around '95...so you'll need the fun task of swapping the pinion flange (may need a puller?) or possibly you can mix the '92's rear driveline portion to the '95. I'm pretty sure the full drivelines are  different lengths and not interchangeable. Must be covered on here...somewhere.