Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Opening a 2013 Outback Gas Door in an Ice Storm

Is there a trick to getting the gas door open following an ice storm on the above car ?  Had to use my ignition key to chisel around the door opening when the interior door release failed to open the door due to ice.

Don't want to be in this position again.

Thanks,

Bill

• Like 2

Bottle of water?

Usually I just bump the door with my hand a few times and it cracks the ice out of the way.

There is a spray on ice melt solution for windsheilds that you could keep a bottle of in the trunk just in case.

Great idea, many thanks.  Easy solution, will put a bottle in my bad weather box in the car.

I try to remember to spray WD40 into the insides of the door locks, BEFORE the winter weather hits.

This usually prevents the door-lock tumblers from freezing up (not so much of a problem these days with remote fobs).

Perhaps WD-40 would also act as a preventative on the gas-door latch?

Maybe, but it is a cable release by the driver's seat that unlocks a little tab on the gas tank snorkle.  Ice hardly visits that far inside the door.It seems to gather in the crack between the door and the car body, a rectangle with rounded ends.  I am thinking a wood paint stirring paddle so I won't hurt the paint when prying.  Thanks for your timely reply.  I'm a new Subie owner and this forum has been a great resource for me.

If it's physical ice on the outside of the car, it will need to be physically removed before the flap will open. Your key can work, but be careful not to scratch the paint...

A semi-gentle hit with a fist on the outside frequently busts up the ice enough to release the door. Otherwise carefully scraping with something plastic (a credit card, window scraper handle, etc.).

Yea, water would probably do it, but if it's ice-storm cold, that bottle is probably frozen too.