Ultimate Subaru Message Board

K03 turbo

So I recently found that the k03 turbo from VW 95-06 passât 1.8t Is about the right size for our small rump roast low compression ea81/ea82 engines. Anyways I recently redrilled a set of 6 lug Toyota rims with some 235 75 15 that I sawzalled and stuck under my girl. After 200 highway miles I’ve decided I need more mid range power to make highway travel a bit easier and was wondering if y’all had played with turbo installs on the ea81. I’m concerned mostly about the Weber 32/36 and the fact that the accel pump might cave to boost without a boost adjusted fuel reg pump.

+1 Tuning on turbo'd carb is a PITA and if you've never done it there's a good chance of fragging the pistons or the rod bearings. Then you've got timing to contend with. The dizzy on a carb'd engine isn't up to the task. You need one that will do advance an retard. Not saying it can't be done or you shouldn't, but boosting a high mileage engine usually ends in a yard sale. If you're set on doing it, read everything you can get your hands on, understand it and be prepared to spend more money if you want it to last.

EJ22 will give you 130 reliable, bullet proof horsepower

I doubt you could make that much from the EA81 even with the turbo, and if you did it won't be for long.

But if you are intent on it.  I would definately switch to the EA82 turbo pistons to lower compression and they are much thicker and stronger to hold up to boost.

someone has to do it !

MSD used to do a retard box for adding to any single coil. Connect to coil, add boost to its port and you get a dial to add to the dash so you can dial in how much andvance retard on the fly

I have one in motion as propane, just gotta work out its hard line oil supply from oil pump.

One shop trying to sell me silicone line good for 200 C but think may get hotter than that