Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87 GL-10 through emissions with no cats

Last month I had to take my 87 GL-10 wagon EA-82T thought emissions. Here’s the problem… I have no Cats. 2.5 inch turbo back straight pipe, and I have removed most of the emissions controls off, mostly because they were in my way and looked better without them.

I took it thorough at first without doing anything. Just to see what kind of numbers it would blow.

Before:

Cruise: HC = 100, CO (%) = .46, CO+CO2 = 15.86 All passes.

Idle: HC = 274, CO (%) = 4.37, CO+CO2 = 16.47 not so good.

So I got to thinking… (That can be scary) I back probed my O2 sensor and found out that it was working fine at cruse, but as soon as it got back to idle it went flat. This causing the rich idle. Installing cats was out of the question, so I installed a three wire heated O2 sensor.

After:

Cruise: HC = 56, CO (%) = .13, CO+CO2 = 15.63 All passes.

Idle: HC = 152, CO (%) = .05, CO+CO2 = 15.25 Also all pass

Not bad $50 O2 sensor over a $250 cat, that I don’t want anyway… I would say it was a worthwhile investment.

-=Suberdave=-

david@suberdave.com

www.suberdave.com

subaru7_thm.jpg

Rallyruss-

You're in Santa Clara County, right? Isn't a visual inspection part of the test? What I mean is, no matter how good the sniffer test comes out, all the correct equipment has to be present and installed (right down to the heater pipe to the air cleaner and correct gas cap)..unless you have a connection, heh heh.

nv zeno- you are correct my friend.:drunk:

yes it is a technicality on the visual inspection but I have installed all the necessary other smog devices for a 87 toy 22RE(injected) and I used split loom to cover my harnesses so the smog tech would really have to nit pik it to find the few details that dont add up to a normal 22RE. as for the second point yes I do have a conection that I used last time to get it passed but I am trying to go down the legal path this time. If that does not work all I need to do is get a part time job at a smog shop and use my own liscense for testing (my current job does not do that kind of testing).

sorry to have vered off the path of the thread but this all would be aplicable on a sube too.