Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Howdy all from the Hudson Valley. I've recently found myself in the possession of a (new to me) used 2002 Outback Limited Wagon - Granite Pearl.

I downsized from a Land Rover. So far, so good. My only complaints are:

1. The sun/moon roof operational design is peculiar.

2. DTR lights are bizzare. I also would like to run my fogs without the headlights - a subaru no no.

Other than these so far, the car is pretty nice.

Greetings again ....

Over and out ...

Welcome.

I am sure w/your hands on the wiring diagram you can do a little mod to get the light working w/the headlight.

Course last time I did electrical work I shorted out my entire car. (put a screw through a main trunk of wires) :rolleyes:

I hear ya on the fog lamps...i'd like to run mine when the high beams are on...seems much brighter then.

Good luck with your Subaru :D

I don't know if its because I'm used to the height of a full SUV or my Tacoma, but the OBW lights seem to be somewhat on the short and weak.

Acutally, its national law that prohibits the operation of fog lamps in tandem with bright driving lights on.

I can think of no manufacturer that does not configure fogs to go dark when the brights are on.

Now, if you install aftermarket Fogs with their own switch, you can get away with it if and until you get pulled over by the law. Take this from experience.

Why would you want to run your fog lights without the headlights anyway? If you need to have the fog lights on, then you should probably have your head lights on as well.

As for the daytime running lights, there is a way to turn them off, its in your owner's manual. However, if you've noticed, when the parking brake is set, teh DRLs turn off. You can either wire a switch in to the parking brake switch, fooling the system into thinking the parking brake is on, or set the parking brake one click. Not enough to engage the brake, but enough to make the dash light come on, and off go the DRLs.

However, DRLs do increase your visibility to other vehicles, and can reduce the chances of a collision. Subaru implemented them for safety reasons (probably with some puppeteering from GM), so it doesn't quite make sense to me why you'd want to turn them off, other than the fact you don't like the idea that they stay on all the time and you can't control them :-)