Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can you run you’re A/C on a long climb? (turbo car)

Hey guys

My RX is running hotter than I think it should and I can’t run the A/C pulling the pass (several miles in boost) without it getting uncomfortably high on the temp gauge, am I expecting to much?

Background: ’87 RX, all stock, newer 2-core rad and water pump (changed by PO). I drive 175 miles a day back and forth over Snoqualmie pass. Flat running with no A/C the gauge reads just below upto ½, with A/C on it reads just above ½. Long climb (boosting) gauge reads as high as ¾, climb with A/C = way to close to red. I haven’t verified the gauge with a thermometer yet but my “experience-o-meter” tells me its pretty close.

New rad cap made no difference, so I pulled the thermostat last night and tested it, seemed late to open and never opened fully, even at rapid boil. On the drive in this morning without the thermostat, all seemed the same (I was expecting lower temp), the drive home in the heat (suppose to be 90ish) will show for sure.

I guess my question is wether the stock cooling system is really this marginal or should I be looking for a problem? I’ve got a few ideas on how to increase cooling but I don’t want to band-aid something that should be fixed.

Thought and experiences?

Gary

dont forget that when youre boostin, the engine is going to get hotter. the compressor is adding heat when youre under boost, and the whole turbo is spinning at something crazy like 100,000 rpm.

Boy there are a lot of variables that need to be considered. In my 86 turbo sedan, I would have no problem going over the passes around here if the outside temp was below 80 degrees with the A/C going, by the time I got to the top the temp would probably be around 195 or 200 degree. Any hotter then 80 degrees out side, I'd have to switch it off and on to maintain an inside temp while trying to keep the tengine temp from getting over 200 degrees. It seems that the more that I need the A/C the less I can run it without over heating the engine.

Yep Corky, that’s about where I'm at, though my temps seem a bit higher than yours by the stock gauge, I'll know more when I get the thermo hooked up (no time last night). BTW, running without thermostat made little or no difference, but it was a bit cooler yesterday, like you said, lots of variables.

Gary