Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what should i do about a whining transmission in an '82 GL wagon?

The four speed, dual range transmission in my 1982 GL 4wd station wagon has started to make a whining sound while under way. At 201,000 miles the tranny is showing its age. I had the car to the dealer today and he estimates 10 to 12 hours to repair plus, of course, parts. Probably about $2000 or $2500 to rebuild the transmission and front differential.

Am I nuts for even thinking about spending that kind of money? I am nuts because in the last 20 months I have spent about $6000 on the car (front half shafts, carburetor, alternator, water pump, oil pump, transmission mounts, etc).

Should I quit now and give it up? Drive it until the transmission totally fails? Part it out? I really like the car and it otherwise runs well, but it's getting way rusty and expensive to fix.

Well, thanks for reading this and thanks in advance for any advice. By the way, I am located in north-eastern Illinois.

Dave Wood

• 3 months later...

Hi Dave This is Jerry, if it was my car i would install as 5 speed dual range tranny. It will be far cheaper to do that than to have the 4 speed rebuilt. Another advantage you will love the 5 speed in your car. I make a kit that all you do is unbolt the 4 speed stuff and bolt the 5 speed stuff back in it's place. Then have your old rear drive line lenghten. This kit keeps all stock shifters and consel. Look for a 88 gl wagon that has a 5 speed dual range tranny in it and grab it with the shifters and mounts and clutch disc, just a matter of unbolt and bolt back in. Thanks Jerry