Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a car chip in my 97 OB and I have been keeping an eye on my coolant and everyonce in a while (2-3 timaes a day about 50 miles of driving) the coolant will rise to 204 and then go back to 185-ish. Any I dea whay this is happening? Should I get a colder Thermostat?

I have a car chip in my 97 OB and I have been keeping an eye on my coolant and everyonce in a while (2-3 timaes a day about 50 miles of driving) the coolant will rise to 204 and then go back to 185-ish. Any I dea whay this is happening? Should I get a colder Thermostat?

Is this a 2.5?

Somebody tell me what's wrong with 204F?
just pick up the new subaru coolant conditioner thats being used on 2.5 motors that conditions the head gasket should solve your problem since your in the early stages of head gasket problems. 2.5 motors are very prone to head gasket problems after years of engine use. good luck

just pick up the new subaru coolant conditioner thats being used on 2.5 motors that conditions the head gasket should solve your problem since your in the early stages of head gasket problems. 2.5 motors are very prone to head gasket problems after years of engine use. good luck

Actually the conditioner is for 00 and up 2.5, they leak externally and the "stop leak" from Subaru helps seal these up. 96-99 2.5 leak internally so the stop leak will not help you on the phase I motor.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but.......

This is the early indicator of internal HG failure. Tempature spikes from air being introduced into the system from a leaking HG.

What are you doing when the temp goes up? Sitting still, going uphill?

It's normal for a car temp to run a bit higher at these times.

I would think if your head gaskets are leaking, you should be losing a bit of coolant.

I took a quick peek at the speed in relation to the temp and it doesnt match at all. I was idling for 5 min when it rose to 204 then when I started to drive again it went down. Ill look at more later but i got work now.

I would think if your head gaskets are leaking, you should be losing a bit of coolant.

Actually with the phase I 2.5 they do not tent to leak that much coolant, but they allow air into the system causing the overheat.

try a new thermostat first before you go tearing the engine apart. sure sounds like a corroded thermo, they can grime up and stick if coolant not changed regularly. had the same problem in a 92 bronco that used green coolant. yup, it was a corroded mess. easy to change and also cheap. good luck.

Things might be perfectly all right. The coolant temperature is controlled mainly by the thermostat, and this a "proportional" control system. Therefore, it actually needs a little "error" for it to react. The temp will not be constant.

I think the chip is a good idea, but don't let it make you panic. The dash temp gauge works on a delay, meaning that the average temp has to rise before the needle heads closer to the red.

Same applies to the gas gauge, if it moved every time the gas slopped from side to side your needle would bounce around and be uselss.

I agree with Setright and shadow, you probably don't have a problem yet.

As for allowing air into the cooling system, but not losing fluid, I don't fully comprehend. If there is a small space in the head gasket that blows air out of the combustion chamber and into the cooling passage, then a small amout of fluid should be sucked into the cylinder on the intake stroke.

But, as always, reality can mesmerize theory...

It sounds very much like the problem I had...a leaking HG internally at the bottom edge of the #3 and #1 cylinders, on my '98 Legacy GT.

Tiny Clark, the reason you don't see coolant in the engine oil and exhaust is because the leak is small. So, the hot gas can just squeeze through the crack, but the coolant, being a liquid not a gas doesn't make it back through the hole during the intake, before the next compression.

If such a HG problem is suspect, look for an oily residue in the coolant reservoir, on the surface of the coolant and the inside of the tank. It won't be black, but it will look a bit dirty and kinda sticky/grimy to the touch. Also, look at the coolant level. If it is full in the reservoir, it may mean that the gases are displacing the coolant back into the tank. Your rad cap may have nothing wrong with it. Check for bubbles rising in your overflow tank, whilst the car is idling hot. Sure sign of head gasket problem.

After I replaced mine myself in my landlords garage, the engine temp gauge doesn't move a hair once up to operating temp...and I often take it to redline.

If you plan to tackle the job yourself, you may need to invest in about 30-40 beers to last you a long weekend!

And a torque wrench.