Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ruh roh... broken intake manifold bolts... (ea71)

Well dont feel to bad, or all alone. Went to install a head I picked up recently and just now discovered a broken intake bolt. It had 1/2in sticking out, I thought, ok no prob. Gave it a couple of raps with the hammer and vienerslickum, put the vice grips on and commenced to move it back and forth. After about 10 min with no movement, I gave it a little more pressure and it snapped. Ok, now I drill it and put in my easy out. Same procedure, lube and turn very carefully.

SNAP! !@#$%^&*(BEOTCH! Not even enough there to get a grip on to remove. So I get a real small bit and drill alongside it. Got one hole drilled and went to drill another. Got halfway and it snapped. Ok, now its time to quit until I can decide on what to do next. The head is just got 2 bolts holding it to the block, so it can be taken somewhere to be fixed. But I sure didnt need this to slow me down, I'm working as slow as I dare now. I only have 3 weeks before the show, darnit.

I bought 2 Titanium bits today, they didnt have any carbides smaller than 1/4in. Took the head to work and clamped it on the drill press vise. Absolutely nothing. Actually broke both bits :mad: One of the guys at work tells me that a local Napa store has a machine shop and the guy can do anything.

So the heads going to the shop, aint got time to mess with it anymore. Besides, it has 1 easyout and 2 drill bits stuck in that little hole. Hope he can get it cleaned out with out screwing up the hole :(